Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Introduction to Linux, New course by edX

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,786 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 31 December 2014 - 04:32 PM

About this Course

Develop a good working knowledge of Linux using both the graphical interface and command line, covering the major Linux distribution families.

Linux powers 94% of the world’s supercomputers, most of the servers powering the Internet, the majority of financial trades worldwide and a billion Android devices. In short, Linux is everywhere. It appears in many different architectures, from mainframes to server to desktop to mobile and on a staggeringly wide variety of hardware.

This course explores the various tools and techniques commonly used by Linux system administrators and end users to achieve their day-to-day work in a Linux environment. It is designed for experienced computer users who have limited or no previous exposure to Linux, whether they are working in an individual or Enterprise environment.

Upon completion of this training you should have a good working knowledge of Linux, from both a graphical and command line perspective, allowing you to easily navigate through any of the major Linux distributions. You will be able to continue your progress as either a user, system administrator or developer using the acquired skill set.

Join the 250,000+ students who are already enrolled in this course and start your Linux journey

https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-linux-linuxfoundationx-lfs101x-2#.VKRpLF2li1E

Thanks to Animal for finding this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 31 December 2014 - 05:27 PM

I'm pretty sure the course has been posted before. But I thought it might be a good idea to post it again as the course has recently been updated by the author.

Best part is that it's free.

Thanks to NickAu for composing the topic.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 31 December 2014 - 10:16 PM

I've enrolled and activated my account!

Thanks to Animal, and have a Happy and Safe New Year.

And Nick, hope your New year has got off to a good start!

:wizardball: Wiz

#4 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 01 January 2015 - 02:15 AM

okay.... I signed up for it too. so the course is at  00:00 UTC starting Jan 5? I'm at -7 hrs from there so that means 5PM on JAN 4.  What if I work at that time? Is it a daily thing or what? WHen do I get the course material?

Edited by bmike1, 01 January 2015 - 02:24 AM.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#5 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 03:25 AM

ya think I'm gonna get a good time slot? I live at UTC +10 and I'm standing on my head upside down.

Wait to see what they send us back, lol

Happy New one everybody

#6 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 02:30 PM

A good time? +10 is perfect! 10 AM

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 02:45 PM

You get access to the information and proceed at your own pace. The course is not based on you showing up at a specified hour.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#8 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 02:48 PM

yeah.... that's what I thought but I still can't get into it. I guess I need to wait until the 5th.

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 02:59 PM

Like any other formal online course, there is a specific time and date the material becomes available.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#10 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 03:03 PM

I didn't know that... thank you.

#11 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 03:11 PM

You're welcome.

EDIT: Removed incorrect comment about edX being for profit. I confused them with another online company I've taken classes from in the past. edx is a non-profit organization.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#12 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 03:17 PM

The courses I looked at were for cheaper than the tuition at the local community college.

#13 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 05:18 PM

The course is not based on you showing up at a specified hour.

I figgered that ... Aussies are big on edjacation ... we're all Rhodes scholars in disguise ... you can see it in the way we done talk :hysterical:

:wizardball: Wizard

BTW - Ta Animal, for the update

New Year's Resolution - Duct tape Animal's left front paw

#14 mralias518

mralias518

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 05:37 PM

Thanks to wizardfromoz for directing me here. I just signed up, which appears you can after the 5th and it is "fo free." So far seems very informative. :thumbsup2:  

Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca & Windows 8.1 Dual Boot.

Dell E6410 i5 7.60518 Gib of ram

#15 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 01:29 AM

You are most welcome, mralias518. And kudos to the above gents for bringing it to our attention.

I'll see you all at the finish line ... but I'm the tortoise, not the hare - slow and steady wins the race, lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users