Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with Brother Printer.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jt233

jt233

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 31 December 2014 - 03:29 PM

Hello, I know this is a long shot but I have a question regarding Scanning to Aol Mail on the Brother 7860dw  printer.

So my friend asked me to help him with this problem and I tried figuring out everything I could but couldn't find a solution. The problem is he up until a week ago he was able to scan a document to e-mail and have it automatically attach to a new e-mail so that all he had to do was enter the recipients name and press send. However when I press Scan to E-mail now it brings up Microsoft outlook which is not setup for e-mail. I tried many different things and eventually had to call Brother support. After explaining the problem to them they told me that the printer was only able to scan into outlook and not a web based e-mail service. Someone else set it up for him when he got it a few years ago and apparently found a way to do it.

Anyone Know how to get the printer to scan into Aol? If not is there a printer that can, Preferably an all in one? 

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 31 December 2014 - 05:05 PM

Hello, I know this is a long shot but I have a question regarding Scanning to Aol Mail on the Brother 7860dw  printer.

So my friend asked me to help him with this problem and I tried figuring out everything I could but couldn't find a solution. The problem is he up until a week ago he was able to scan a document to e-mail and have it automatically attach to a new e-mail so that all he had to do was enter the recipients name and press send. However when I press Scan to E-mail now it brings up Microsoft outlook which is not setup for e-mail. I tried many different things and eventually had to call Brother support. After explaining the problem to them they told me that the printer was only able to scan into outlook and not a web based e-mail service. Someone else set it up for him when he got it a few years ago and apparently found a way to do it.

Anyone Know how to get the printer to scan into Aol? If not is there a printer that can, Preferably an all in one? 

Thanks.

I had that same problem- apparently- I have an HP printer that does the same thing- here is my solution- Scan your document or picture and save it on your desktop.Then open your AOL email account and add it as an attachment.

#3 jt233

jt233
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2014 - 05:44 PM

Thanks for the help. I tried changing the path for the scan to file to a folder I created on the desktop but it still sends it to the default location which is too confusing for him. seems like whatever I try I encounter a problem. Since the default is now reset to outlook I tried setting up Outlook with Aol by following the directions on Aol help but was having problem connecting to the server. If I can't get the printer to scan to Aol then I think I'm going to have to try and re-install Outlook or get a newer version so that hopefully Aol will work and it will be a workaround that keeps it easy for him.

#4 jt233

jt233
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2014 - 05:50 PM

Thanks for the help I did try changing the path of scan to fille to an easy to find folder on the desktop since the default was to confusing for him however it did not send them to the new loaction. I tried getting outlook synced with Aol by following the directions on their site but encountered problems with either outlook or the Aol Servers. I'm going to try re-installing outlook or getting a newer version and seeing if I can get that to work since it would be a workaround. Otherwise maybe we will have to find a new printer with that capability.

#5 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2014 - 09:48 PM

How old is the printer?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 31 December 2014 - 10:08 PM

Try changing your default email program to AOL.

1. Open Default Programs by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_47., and then clicking Default Programs.

2. Click Set your default programs.

3. Under Programs, click the e‑mail program you'd like to use, and then click Set this program as default.

4. Click OK.

Edit: It looks like you are using Brother's Cloud App but I have not found any setup instructions. Edit: I think this is for a mobile device.

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 December 2014 - 10:22 PM.

#7 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2014 - 11:13 PM

My scanner says that it cannot use a web-based email-  my email client is Thunderbird,but it is set to get mail from Road Runner. There has to be a way around this- I am going to have a chat with HP, because my understanding is that this only works within a LAN- very strange

#8 jt233

jt233
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2014 - 11:22 PM

How old is the printer?

Not sure exactly but approx 3 years.

#9 jt233

jt233
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 02:28 PM

Try changing your default email program to AOL.

1. Open Default Programs by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_47., and then clicking Default Programs.

2. Click Set your default programs.

3. Under Programs, click the e‑mail program you'd like to use, and then click Set this program as default.

4. Click OK.

Edit: It looks like you are using Brother's Cloud App but I have not found any setup instructions. Edit: I think this is for a mobile device.

Thanks, I tried that but had no luck.

#10 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 09:49 PM

It seems that -Scan to email - only works for inter-office emails and not web based email like AOL-Road Runner- Gmail etc. I have asked HP about it ,but no answer yet-

#11 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2015 - 01:07 AM

I just got off the phone with HP- They told me that the scan to email feature only works with Microsoft Outlook- go figure- I don't know if this applys to Brother printers but if you call Brother Tech Support they probably will tell you the same thing- I may see if I can get a used copy of Outlook on Amazon or something similar- good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users