Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows folder has only..see screenshot

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Chris4835

Chris4835

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 31 December 2014 - 03:25 PM

My XP computer is working just fine. But when I click on the C drive and then the Windows folder all I see is the following only a whole screen full of folders, each one is marked $MSI31Unin.... see attached screenshot.Never seen anything like it on a working computer. 

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2014 - 04:06 PM

Those are all your Security and other Updates. That is normal. You may not have seen it before because you need to have the show hidden files option enabled.

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 December 2014 - 04:06 PM.

#3 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 09:29 AM

Thanks John I'll check that. You are right, I see them now

But I have another problem. The computer only has service pack 2. So every time on boot-up it downloads svc. pack 3 But hen when I let it install them, at some point I get the following message: cannot find NOTSKRNL.exe as I click to continue any way. But after that I get another couple of similar messages. Then after that it cannot find Mozart's Symphony 9 and it stops and starts reverting changes. But then on the next reboot it downloads SVC. pack 3 again and everything starts all over again. My question is this: How can I stop windows from downloading pack3 if it won't install it anyway?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 10:18 AM

You really need to get SP3 on the computer as that has a ton of Security Updates. Even SP3 is now vulnerable to malware as Microsoft no longer supports it.

I just did a search and found this regarding the Mozart error. What a freaky error. Never heard of this. Allow with allowing permissions make sure you have the correct folders of My Music and Sample Music in Documents. C:Documents and Settings/All users/Documents/My Music/Sample Music/

You can download the full installer of SP3 and see if that finishes. I really don't know of a way to stop the update other than turning off autoupdates all together.

See this for XP SP3 pre-requisites.

I would recommend you not do any banking on this computer.

#5 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 04:11 PM

NO. I definitely will not do any banking on this computer. Will not even open email on it. And most of the time it will not even be connected to the Internet. Mostly I use it for pictures and working with documents. Thanks for the advice thug.

#6 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:12 AM

I must apologize JohnC_21 I did not mean to call you a thug. The word was supposed to be THOUGH. I ran IEspell check just before posting and obviously it did not get the context so it didn't correct the word. So please accept my sincerest apology.The reason I didn't notice the error was that I'm still having problems installing swc pack3.

Only now I ran into a much larger problem. My network card in the computer must have died. I installed a NETGEAR USB adapter. It tells me that it is connected to the Internet, but I can't get on line with IE or Firefox either.Firefox tells me: Server not found.

Yet when I installed the Netgear adapter on my other XP computer I had no problem at all getting on the Internet. I've been trying for the several days now but no success. Now I want to scan the computer with Widows Defender offline But I'm having trouble finding the download link. Could you maybe point me to it?

Oh, one more thing, In case the moderator should read this too, and while I still can edit my post. Why is there no edit button on all my previous posts?

Edited by Chris4835, 06 January 2015 - 09:26 AM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:35 AM

No problem,

Has SP3 been installed? Some drivers will not install if XP is not SP3.

What is the make and model of the Netgear USB?

Did you install the Netgear software from a CD?

Are there any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager?

Right click the netgear wireless adapter in Device Manager. Select Properties and under the Details tab select Hardware ID's in the dropdown box. What is the first line?

I will be around for the next hour but will then be out for a couple of hours.

#8 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:44 PM

Thanks John, I simply was unable to install it, SP3 even the full version that I hve on a flash drive. I get the same error message as before. Of course now I'm even unable to go on the Internet.

The USB adapters name is NETGEAR model WG111v3. I downloaded the software and drivers from the netgear website. As I said before, when I installed it on my desktop computer it works just fine. Yet on this DEll 1100 laptop, that rally need a wireless adapter none of my browsesr can go on the Internet. Yet the NETGEAR program says it's connected to the Internet. Tomorrow I'l post a screenshot of the netgear screen.

Edited by Chris4835, 06 January 2015 - 08:47 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:54 PM

Can you give me the Vendor and Device ID as I requested in my previous post. There may be two Wireless adapters, the one that came with the Dell and the Netgear adapter. I would need both. There is a Network Adapter utility you can run. Select Advanced Repair and see if it solves your problem. Run it in an admin account.

611.png?w=764

#10 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 02:41 PM

Attached is a screenshot of the netgear utility.But the problem is definetly not with the Netgear adapter as I have it right now plugget into my Gateway computer that also runs XP right now. And I'm online with the Netgear right now.

So the problem must be with the Dell laptop. But what stops it from going on the Internet? I ran Malwarebytes and it found 61 malicious items and 64 non malware items which are in quarentine right now. But this did not solve the problem.

When I fist posted this topic I could get on bleeping computer, with the built in network.card just fine. But at one reboot the computer seems to have reset itself and afer that I could no longer go on the internet so I asumed that the network card must have gone bad. And I installed the Netgear adapter.

I did download the drivers for the nework card which is a Broadcom 440x from Dell. But when I run the installation it says it installed it. But it looks like I still have the same driver as before.Next I'll run the network utility and send you the results in my next post.

Attached Files

Edited by Chris4835, 07 January 2015 - 02:43 PM.

#11 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:16 PM

Well I'm back already. When I tried installing the network adapter utility I get the following error: I need to install .NET Framework v4.0.30319. That's real tough when I can't get in the Internet. How do I get it anyway?

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:23 PM

Try this first. At a command prompt in an admin account type the following commands.

netsh winsock reset catalog   <enter>

netsh int ip reset c:\Reset.txt   <enter>

Reboot.  See if the Netgear connects

#13 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:24 PM

I see you are online right now John. While trying to install the network adapter utility I get a message that I need .NET Framework v4.0.30319. How do I get it if I can't get on the Internet. Maybe that would solve my other problem too?

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:29 PM

See my post #12. Try those two commands first.

Edit: Net Framework 4 requires XP SP3.

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 January 2015 - 03:52 PM.

#15 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 04:05 PM

Sorry John, I didn't see your previous post. I'll try that suggestion first. OK WnIsock was successfully reset. But the next line, see attached fie. What did I do wrong here? Have to turn off both computers now and go visit friend in nursing home Be back tomorrow.

I'll try downloading the full version of SP3 and then try it once more Thanks John and have a good evening.

Attached Files

Edited by Chris4835, 07 January 2015 - 04:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users