Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Part Suggestions for a New Build...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dj Tantra

Dj Tantra

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 31 December 2014 - 01:41 PM

Hi Guys, my laptop is croaking (After the 3rd system restore in the past six months). I have some parts laying around from a build I was trying to put together and would love some input on how to finish this off.

To preface, I would like to do some moderate gaming (assassins creed) + the occasional photoshop and multi-tasking and 1080p video-ing. I do not know how to overclock...

Budget wise I am budget conscious. I am hoping to get a descent machine ~$500 (dollars) total. Here's the little bit that I have thus far:

1. Crucial 256GB SATA SSD 6Gb/s (trying to boot from here)

2. BUFFALO MiniStation Stealth 1TB Portable HDD External Hard drive (storing all data here)

3. (2) 1 blu-ray, and 1 non blu-ray disk driver

4. (2) Nvidia GT545DE OEM 1 gig each x 2 = 2 gig total http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-545-oem-gddr5 (use as "SLI"?)

Here's what I'm hoping you gurus may be able to advise me on (which are the most important parts) and provide links for:

1. CPU  2. Motherboard Combo...

3. Case (space is not a constraint but would prefer something not "massive" and be able to contain both cards) 

4. Memory

5. Cooling (not sure how to set this up)

6. Power (based on vid card: Maximum graphics card power = 105W)?? No idea how to proceed on this

7. Anything else I may need to order (this is my first build- I won't need a monitor as I plan to hook this to a 50'' plasma)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2014 - 06:21 PM

Using what you have already, here's an idea.

CPU:  AMD FX-8320 - This should be enough for what you are wanting.  $149

Motherboard:  GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 - If you weren't going to use SLI, you could save money by going with an AMD 970-based board.  $129

OS:  Windows 8.1 64-bit OEM - You need an operating system.  $99

Case:  NZXT Source 210 - This is an inexpensive case, but you should have enough room.  $39

PSU:  Antec BP550 Plus 550W - This should be sufficient for most single GPU setups and low-end SLI solutions.  $59

RAM:  Mushkin Enhanced STEALTH 8GB - Plenty of memory for most people.  $74

Total Cost for these parts:  $554

That said, you should be aware that multi-GPU solutions do have potential problems with driver issues and glitches.  The GT 545 is also not a high performing card.  In terms of stability, I usually go with one high-end card and ignore SLI or Crossfire altogether.  As for cooling, all necessary fans are included with the case and CPU, however, you can swap these out for higher performing or quieter fans.

3939.png

#3 Dj Tantra

Dj Tantra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 06:36 PM

Using what you have already, here's an idea.

CPU:  AMD FX-8320 - This should be enough for what you are wanting.  $149

Motherboard:  GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 - If you weren't going to use SLI, you could save money by going with an AMD 970-based board.  $129

OS:  Windows 8.1 64-bit OEM - You need an operating system.  $99

Case:  NZXT Source 210 - This is an inexpensive case, but you should have enough room.  $39

PSU:  Antec BP550 Plus 550W - This should be sufficient for most single GPU setups and low-end SLI solutions.  $59

RAM:  Mushkin Enhanced STEALTH 8GB - Plenty of memory for most people.  $74

Total Cost for these parts:  $554

That said, you should be aware that multi-GPU solutions do have potential problems with driver issues and glitches.  The GT 545 is also not a high performing card.  In terms of stability, I usually go with one high-end card and ignore SLI or Crossfire altogether.  As for cooling, all necessary fans are included with the case and CPU, however, you can swap these out for higher performing or quieter fans.

Thanks for the input and happy new year! Thinking of pulling the trigger on your suggestion but just upping the RAM (16GB). You think I'd be better off in investing in a better CPU/MOBO and keeping this rig for the long haul? Or it is probably sufficient given my needs (browsing/light gaming/multitasking)

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 11:48 PM

I doubt you need 16GB of RAM for your use case, 8GB should be plenty.  This PC should last a while unless you decide to get into more intensive games, even then, you can upgrade your GPU and get better performance.  The biggest drag on this system will be the two GT 545 cards.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users