Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing upgraded wireless in laptop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Meanie

Meanie

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 31 December 2014 - 11:08 AM

This may be a stupid question...but, I have an HP Envy laptop and considering the idea of upgrading my wireless adapter, which is currently an "n", to an "AC". How difficult would it be to install a new card in this laptop?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,851 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2014 - 12:00 PM

If HP has not changed, they whitelist there wifi adapters. You cannot buy anything except a HP wifi card. The only way to get around it is to mod the BIOS which can brick the computer. Other than that, you should be able to upgrade to AC if HP has a card for your laptop. Your Router needs to support AC also.

You could go with a USB wifi route with an adapter like this.

#3 Meanie

Meanie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2014 - 01:12 PM

I don't mind an HP card if they have one.

My router is an AC, which I installed yesterday. This is why I ask about my laptop because my other devices are AC but I use my laptop the most.

Thank you

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,851 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2014 - 02:16 PM

As far as installing a new one, it should not be that hard. I am not sure what model Envy you have but here is a video showing the process on a Envy 17 and 15 laptop

#5 Meanie

Meanie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2014 - 08:19 PM

Mine is the dv7. I went to the site and there wasn't a WiFi video for mine. After watching the video you submitted, I can only hope mine is similar. Now all I have to do is to see if HP has an upgrade.

Thank you

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,851 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2014 - 09:13 PM

It's possible HP would not have an AC card. Here is a video showing the WIFI card on a dv7. You can call HP support. They also have a site called PartSurfer. You can check the available WIFI cards for your model there.

#7 Meanie

Meanie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2014 - 10:31 PM

It's possible HP would not have an AC card. Here is a video showing the WIFI card on a dv7. You can call HP support. They also have a site called PartSurfer. You can check the available WIFI cards for your model there.

Thanks for the link.

Here is a link for my unit with the wireless adapters. Does that mean these are the different adapters available for my machine?

http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?searchText=2CE3082F1P

Edited by Meanie, 31 December 2014 - 10:32 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,851 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2014 - 10:45 PM

I was only able to click on C2Y65AV  From the BOM It looks like there are no AC wifi cards available, only n. You could call HP and verify it.

These are probably the only ones listed in BIOS unless HP had a BIOS update that would include AC adapters.

The different adapters shown are with different chipsets. It looks like there is Atheros, Raylink, and Realtek. I am not sure of the others.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users