Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Satellite P755-S5215 Won't Power up.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Annoying Cripple

Annoying Cripple

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 31 December 2014 - 03:08 AM

First post hope I'm posting in the proper section. If not I apologize.

As I stated in the Topic Tile I'm working on a Toshiba Satellite P755-S5215 that will not power up. My buddy said nothing was ever spilled on, only issue he had before this crash was that the screen wasn't working but was able to use it perfectly on a external display via HDMI (his tv.)

Issues.

When you hit the power but the power lights up and the fan runs for a second or two then stops running and then the computer shuts off. Never makes it to the Toshiba logo screen.

Sometimes after many tries off turning on it finals kicks the fan on for a second or two and remains on with a blank screen still. Only lights that are on are the battery, charging light, and power light. The HDD light never comes on or feel it running.

What I tried already:

1. Connect the Power cord and the Battery Light and Charging light come on. I let it sit for a hour or two before turning on again. Still same results

2. I next removed the power cord and battery and held the power button down. Connected the battery and power cord again with the same results

3. Tried removing the battery, RAM, and replaced the old HDD with a solid state drive i had laying around with Win7 already installed. Still the same results.

Hopefully you can give me some advice with this issue. Many thanks for any suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 02 January 2015 - 12:58 PM

Make sure you have the computer unplugged from power while removing or moving any hardware also remove the battery and leave this out, just use the power adapter for tests from this point on...

Try 1 stick of ram in 1 slot at a time (remove all other ram sticks). Move it to the next slot until you have tried that stick in all slots by itself. If you still have no post, try a different stick of ram in each slot by itself. If you have issues with the stick in 1 particular slot (a no post for example) the slot may be bad. It is also possible you have a bad stick of ram instead of the slot being bad, in this case the ram stick should cause the same problem all slots.

You may have a memory controller issue in which case if you have 4 slots, 2 may not work. With intel it should be 2 slots next to eachother channel 1 might be slot 0,1 and channel 2 might be 2,3. Trying with 1 stick at a time in all 4 slots is the best way to test everything.

If you never get a stable system with just 1 stick of ram in 1 slot (trying all sticks by themselves) try removing all non essential hardware to get into bios:

Disconnect pci cards, pci-e cards - except a video card unless you have onboard in which case use the onboard video and pull the video card, hard drives, dvd drives, disconnect all usb headers as well. You should only have the power supply, main board, 1 stick of ram in 1 slot, the cpu and cpu cooler connected. You can also plug in a monitor and keyboard. Now try to power on the machine. If at this point you have no post screen or video etc, unplug the computer and pull the stick of ram, power back on and listen for a post fault beep code, you will need to have a speaker plugged in (laptops should be built in) or hook up a motherboard speaker to hear any post fault code.

If you get no response next: remove all of the components from the computer case and connect only non essential hardware outside of the case, place the motherboard on a non conductive surface, a wooden table will do fine. Then try to power on again, you can short the power button pins on the motherboard, don't worry this is exactly what the power button does. Just touch a metal item to both power button pins to try to power the mainboard when outside of the computer case.

While you have the computer apart, look for blown or bulging capacitors on the mainboard and video cards etc examples: https://www.google.com/search?q=bulging+or+blown+capacitors+motherboard&noj=1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Iz_YU6aDLsS2yASnjoKwAQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1031&bih=603 please report any caps you suspect may be bad, you can take a picture and post here if you are unsure.

Edited by zingo156, 02 January 2015 - 01:06 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Annoying Cripple

Annoying Cripple
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 02 January 2015 - 05:14 PM

Thanks for your advice, I'll give it a go and post my results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users