Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

At whits end

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Mistoffelees

Mistoffelees

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 31 December 2014 - 01:47 AM

This is my first build and I have just about had it. My OS windows 8.1 will not down load on my drive, I have 3 drives, when I install the OS it shows all three drives but says it cannot load the OS to that location. I am using an adaptor card for the SAS drives it is an x8 I put it in a PCIe x16 slot that the motherboard documentation says will support 3.0 x8 I'm not sure if that could be the problem.  I formatted the disks when it ask the location to download the OS I click on new and it tells me it might have to make other partition I click ok and it comes back and say it cannot partition. I don't no what else to do, well I could take the whole thing and throw it in the lake I guess.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 01 January 2015 - 08:50 PM

I haven't much experience of SAS cards, but as a guess I think it could be something to do with the controller not being natively supported by Windows.  Did the adaptor come with Windows 8.1 drivers?  If so, have you installed said drivers during the installation process (using the "Load Driver" button on the screen where you choose which disk to install Windows to)?

select-patrition-to-install-windows-8.1.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 Mistoffelees

Mistoffelees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 04:19 PM

Yes, the adaptor card came with a CD and there is one drive that is compatible (it says) but when I download it nothing changes. I have the same screen as the one you posted but my Format, Delete, and Extend are greyed out. I went to the LSI web site and downloaded the windows 8.1 drives to a disk and when I click on load drives I get a message that says there is no single device drive. I formatted the three HDD's from the adaptor CD  but nothing came up for me to partition them. In the cmd it list the HDDs as shell>_ alias blk0 blocked. I thought it meant blocked as in segmented. So I tried the command unblock it excepted it and the cursor goes to the next line but nothing changes. Maybe I'm not doing something right when I download the drive from the web site. 

I have been researching the error codes and trying all kinds of stuff nothing seems to work. I really am beginning to think there is no hope. I really don't want to spend the on SATA hard drives.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

#4 Mistoffelees

Mistoffelees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 04:23 PM

Oh ya I click on NEW in the screen you posted and

I haven't much experience of SAS cards, but as a guess I think it could be something to do with the controller not being natively supported by Windows.  Did the adaptor come with Windows 8.1 drivers?  If so, have you installed said drivers during the installation process (using the "Load Driver" button on the screen where you choose which disk to install Windows to)?

select-patrition-to-install-windows-8.1.

Oh ya I click on the NEW in the screen you posted and it says windows might have to make or add partitions, I click OK and then I get a message that says windows cannot make partitions or something like that.

#5 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 10:35 PM

Can you provide a link to the website for the SAS card you have?  I would like to read over their documentation and or informaiton they have on installing with windows.  Also is that the actual image of yours that you get when trying to install win 8 or was that just one that was provided as an example?  How big are these hard drives?  Can you provide the brand names of the hard drives you have ? 

Thanks for the information I will try to help best I can.

#6 Mistoffelees

Mistoffelees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2015 - 04:28 PM

Can you provide a link to the website for the SAS card you have?  I would like to read over their documentation and or informaiton they have on installing with windows.  Also is that the actual image of yours that you get when trying to install win 8 or was that just one that was provided as an example?  How big are these hard drives?  Can you provide the brand names of the hard drives you have ? 

Thanks for the information I will try to help best I can.

No that image is from someone trying  to help. Mine looks like that only I have three HDDs, If I could figure out how to post an image I would post mine .

I have three HDDs they are Seagate Cheetahs 15k.7 (model # ST3450857SS) The SAS/SATA Host Bus adaptor card is an LSI model # LSI SAS 9207-8i

the link to their site is http://www.lsi.com/pages/default.aspx

Any ideas or help you can provide will be greatly appreciated I have been stuck for weeks on this.

As I said in my earlier post mine screen  looks like that one but my format, delete and extend are greyed out

Thank you in advance.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2015 - 10:03 PM

Windows 8.1 is supposed to have drivers for that controller already bundled in the install disk. You can try loading the drivers during the install and see if you can install Windows to the disk. You can download the driver for your controller here under the driver section.

LSImpt_SAS_Windows_8.1_Windows_server_2012_R2_P19

There are two subfolders one for 32bit and one for 64bit. In the folder is a lsi_sas2_win8.1_2012R2.txt file. Read section 2.1.1 DVD-ROM Installation

Put these files on a USB or CD disk.

lsi_sas2.inf
        lsi_sas2.sys
        lsinodrv.inf
        wdcfg.exe
        DriverConfigParam.def
        lsi_sas2.cat

When you get to the install window with the Load Driver button in the lower left (as the above image shows), Cick it and is should read the files off the USB or CD disk. Then try selecting a drive.

#8 Mistoffelees

Mistoffelees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 04:49 PM

Hi JohnC_21

I have tried that and the message I get is "there are no single device drives" or something like that. I use a CD to down load, maybe I should try a flash drive.

I'll try loading the drive from the windows disk, I'm not sure I tried that yet. I tried so many different thing can't remember what I did and didn't do anymore. 

I will download from your link too and see if that makes a difference

Thank you for helping because GOD knows I need it.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 05:04 PM

Yes, I would try the USB flash drive with the drivers. If I can remember correctly, if you want to boot a drive off the SAS card, it has to have it's own BIOS. Is there any mention of that in the manual?

You may get a solution by contacting LSI and submitting a support ticket.

#10 Mistoffelees

Mistoffelees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 05:13 PM

Well I tried downloading from the widows disk and the disk I made and I get the same message "no single device drives found make sure your media has the correct drives installed"  I am doing something wrong but I just don't know what it is.

#11 Mistoffelees

Mistoffelees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 05:25 PM

I formatted the HDDs from the CD that came with the controller  and I downloaded the only drive that was compatible (so it said) and the windows CD still says it cannot install to the location I selected. It also says it cannot make a partition. When I formatted from the controller CD I thought it was odd that it didn't ask me to partition, so I thought the OS would allow me to do that and again I was wrong.  I'm going to email LSI as you suggested  I'm going to be 51 next month and I guess its true when they say you can't teach and old dog new tricks.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 05:30 PM

Yes, email LSI. I am not sure if the controller would format it any differently than Windows. If you were able to format the disk from the Controller CD then the disk is already partitioned. You could use a bootable version of Partition Wizard to check the disk. You would have to burn the iso disk in Windows 7 by right clicking, and selecting Burn Image File. Boot Partition Wizard and take a look at the partition structure of the disk and if it is formatted NTFS.

#13 Mistoffelees

Mistoffelees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 06:53 PM

Ok I'll try that too.

I did verify each HDD and it said that there were no bad blocks.

I thank you again JohnC I'm going to try these now.

I've been saying the wrong thing

the message says no signed device drivers found, I've been write single

#14 Mistoffelees

Mistoffelees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:03 PM

JohnC

I think the problem is the signed driver enforcement on the OS you can disable it on a system that is already installed.

I will get a hold of Microsoft and see what they say. LSI has instruction that say to press the S key when you get a certain message but I never get that message.

Just a little info

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:21 PM

I  would definitely talk to LSI. I can't imagine why the drivers are unsigned. I noticed that LSI also had a firmware update for the card dated SEP 2014.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users