Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Debian Jessie: Segmentation Fault

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 AlexSmithFanning

AlexSmithFanning

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 31 December 2014 - 12:08 AM

I turned off my computer today and it kept turning back on for a millisecond and then turn back off, even when the power was unplugged (only for about a minute though). I solved the issue by disconnecting the main connector on the motherboard. But I turned it on and it worked fine until it froze when Debian was booting. So I tried booting into recovery and then misstyped "apt" and it said "segmentation fault" and froze. I am now in the process of testing the RAM with memtest86+. Any ideas on how to fix the issue? Anytime I try to boot Debian, it just freezes. Or if I type anything in recovery it freezes.

Edited by AlexSmithFanning, 31 December 2014 - 12:11 AM.

I prefer Linux. Windows 10 is just to invasive for me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AlexSmithFanning

AlexSmithFanning
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2014 - 12:36 AM

Memtest86+ finished without error.

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 31 December 2014 - 02:44 AM

Hi Alex.
Here is a few other ideas. These are the same thing's I would suggest. Before anybody says it Ubuntu is Debian.

How to Fix an Ubuntu System When It Won't Boot

Some problems are more complicated than others and require additional work to isolate the issue. So, try not to overwhelm the user with possible conflicting information during the troubleshooting process. Wait for the user to report back that step 1 is done and the result before suggesting anything new,

Stay on topic Please.

Unless you know exactly what the problem is and how to fix it.
Thank's
Nick.

Be Verbose
When you ask for support you should also include as much information about the problem as possible. Including all of the important details in your first post will greatly speed up the entire support process and allow our volunteers to better assist you. While you may think a particular error message isn't very helpful, it may be the key to resolving your issue. Some details we are looking for would include, but not be limited to:

•     Your distribution's name (Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, etc), version (17, 14.04, 7, etc), and architecture (32-bit, 64-bit).
  •     Provide relevant information about your physical hardware or installed software.
  •     Share relevant log files, screenshots, detailed error messages, or anything else that could be used to troubleshoot your issue.
[Community Standards] Properly Giving & Receiving GNU/Linux Support

#4 AlexSmithFanning

AlexSmithFanning
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2014 - 03:01 AM

Now it won't post beep. The light just flashes. Almost like its suspended.

Should I post into a new topic?

Some more information:

Computer: Gateway DX4200-09
Processor: AMD Phenom 9150e Quad-Core X4
Graphics: nVidia GTX 650Ti
Operating System: Debian Jessie 64-bit
RAM: 4 gigabytes

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 31 December 2014 - 03:05 AM

Did you try the suggestions I posted?

Should I post into a new topic?

No this is fine.

While Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house.

I love it.

"They say when you play a Microsoft CD backwards you can hear satanic messages ..... but that's nothing, if you play it forward it will install Windows"

Edited by NickAu, 31 December 2014 - 03:12 AM.

#6 AlexSmithFanning

AlexSmithFanning
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2014 - 03:16 AM

Nevermind, my RAM slots are going bad. Just had to jiggle them around a little. Everything is working now.

#7 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 02 January 2015 - 10:41 AM

Nevermind, my RAM slots are going bad. Just had to jiggle them around a little. Everything is working now.

Keep an eye on the power supply;  commodity PCs typically use a barely adequate one.  When something is going bad you get all kinds of weirdness happening.

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users