Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing front panel USB to motherboard?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DarkD

DarkD

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 30 December 2014 - 11:01 PM

I have an ATX Midtower PC Case and a Z97-A motherboard.  The case's front panel USB is odd because the wire lead-ins for it are basically more like USB extensions rather than something I can plug into the motherboard.  I've looked in the mobo's manual and found where I'm normally supposed to plug that in, and its like a 9 pin socket or something, but the front panel cord is a USB cord....  I've never seen anything like it, am I supposed to get an adapter for that?  How does this work?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 31 December 2014 - 03:24 PM

What is the brand/model of the case? Sounds like a passthrough cable that you can plug into the back of the computer instead of inside on the motherboard.

He said the same thing he had been saying for hours... "burn them all".

-Jaime Lannister

Feel free to add me on Skype for help or to chat; lolballinn

#3 DarkD

DarkD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 31 December 2014 - 08:07 PM

http://www.zalman.com/eng/product/Product_Read.php?Idx=493

So is there a converter so I can just hook them up to the motherboard?  I'd hate to lose my rear USB ports for something so stupid...

#4 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 02 January 2015 - 09:59 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812423076 This might work if the front ports you are referring to are the USB 3.0 ones, the webpage for that case doesn't exactly show how all of the front panel ports are connected to the motherboard, though.

He said the same thing he had been saying for hours... "burn them all".

-Jaime Lannister

Feel free to add me on Skype for help or to chat; lolballinn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users