Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:14 PM

I just installed Ubuntu on my laptop as a dual boot system. Windows7/Ubuntu. I was wondering if anyone else is using it and how they like it. They have made a lot of improvements since I last tried it. I was also told I don't need and antivirus program on Ubuntu.Is this true? Any comments welcome!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:26 PM

Hi Paul.

I don't need and antivirus program on Ubuntu.Is this true?

I do not use antivirus,

Yes they have made a lot of improvements.

Now that you have Ubuntu installed, Have you activated your firewall?

If no please open terminal and type oe copy paste.

sudo ufw enable

This will start your firewall and create a script that will start it every time you boot Ubuntu.

I was wondering if anyone else is using it and how they like it.

I love Ubuntu.

Shout if you need any help.

Disable Online Content in the Dash

2hz3aqf.png

The ads will disappear after you log out and log back in.

Edited by NickAu, 30 December 2014 - 10:35 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:33 PM

Hi Paul.

I do not use antivirus,

sudo ufw enable

This will start your firewall and create a script that will start it every time you boot Ubuntu.

I love Ubuntu.

Will do - Thanks!

EDIT: Moved topic to more appropriate forum

~Stolen

Edited by Stolen, 30 December 2014 - 10:39 PM.

#4 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2014 - 02:34 AM

Hi Paul.

I do not use antivirus,

sudo ufw enable

I love Ubuntu.

Will do - Thanks!

EDIT: Moved topic to more appropriate forum

~Stolen

it took me a few minutes to find Terminal- it wasn't obvious on the desktop- anyway- got the firewall on!

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,247 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2014 - 02:57 AM

Did your system update?

If not open terminal and type or copy paste.

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Next
What browser are you using? What i would like to do is get a basic system going updated, Then we can set a restore point, Yes just like in Windows, Then you can go out and explore Ubuntu knowing if you mess it up you can restore. And Mess it up you will.... :hysterical: ..... Please also back up your Windows just in case... :hysterical:

it took me a few minutes to find Terminal- it wasn't obvious on the desktop- anyway- got the firewall on!

Once Any program is open in Ubuntu if you want to lock it to launcher ( That's the side bar thing on the left of the screen ) right click the program icon and select lock to launcher,  To remove icons right click the icon and select remove.

How to use dash

http://youtu.be/RWcaH9X9WbI

Edited by NickAu, 31 December 2014 - 03:03 AM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

#6 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2014 - 10:34 PM

Got the system updated- I'm running  Windows7/ Ubuntu on an old laptop that is not critical to my survival- it's my experimenting machine- I have a high-end HP for my daily computer work,so messing it up is not a problem. I have Windows backed up- so I am ready to proceed with a system restore point in Ubunto- the other two versions- Kubuntu and Green Mint? I don't know how that came up but I better do one OS at a time-- I am using Firefox browser since I am familiar with it- I really appreciate your help and any reading/youtube/literature that you could suggest- Thanks!Paul

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,247 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2014 - 11:34 PM

Ok

I saw you reading Ubuntu Desktop Computing Made Easy (Trusty 14.04 LTS) , Have you done things like install restricted extras? Enabled DVD playback?

With firefox use the Standard things like Addblocker popup blocker NoScript, Just get them from the addons page.

You may want to look at this.

Speed Up Firefox in Ubuntu 14.04 By Moving Cache to RAM

Next please go to Tony's site and install Time Shift.

TeeJee Tech: TimeShift

Now create a back up and turn off automatic backups, for now.

the other two versions- Kubuntu and Green Mint? I don't know how that came up but I better do one OS at a time

Both those are more Windows like , Ubuntu is not as novice friendly as say Linux mint or Kubuntu, everything you learn on Ubuntu will work on other Buntu based distros. Some people just like to try different things.

Edited by NickAu, 31 December 2014 - 11:50 PM.

Arch Linux .

#8 Zach6656

Zach6656

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 01 January 2015 - 12:34 AM

jsut a (stupid) question about LUbuntu i have an OLD laptop with 256MB of ram and i was wondering if i could put Lubuntu on it because i tried full out Ubuntu and it didnt want to 100%work

always use DD-WRT for all your routers, if you cant get it for them, throw them away

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,247 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 12:38 AM

jsut a (stupid) question about LUbuntu i have an OLD laptop with 256MB of ram and i was wondering if i could put Lubuntu on it because i tried full out Ubuntu and it didnt want to 100%work

Its not a stupid question at all, Can I suggest something for that PC? Puppy Linux

A new version of Precise Puppy with long-term support is released.
August 3, 2013 - A version 5.7.1 update of Precise Puppy is now available. Precise Puppy is a Long Term Supported release, following Ubuntu Precise Pangolin's LTS attribute. The kernel version of the standard release is 3.9.11 (PAE, i686) while an older kernel 3.2.48 (i486, no PAE ) is used with the retro release (the retro has many device drivers, including analog modem drivers).
Download the STANDARD precise-5.7.1.iso here or there, size = 156 MB, md5sum = c4999c4bd8ca3a8fc935389c2667f848.

I would suggest this 1

Download the RETRO precise-5.7.1-retro.iso here or there, size = 201 MB, md5sum = 8c1d7db20a055fe847ed954fc246e078. NOTE: This has additional drivers, including analog modem drivers, and has Opera as additional browser for PCs with 256 MB or less random-access memory (RAM).

If you need more advice or help please start a new thread

Edited by NickAu, 01 January 2015 - 12:40 AM.

Arch Linux .

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 03:56 AM

the other two versions- Kubuntu and Green Mint? 

You mean Linux Mint? 

That's the OS I've been running for nearly 6 years & it's as close as a drop in replacement for Windows as it gets. The Start Menu is in the same position as 7 & below, expands the same way. Great for one who doesn't like Unity, or the Windows 8 look of Windows. Seems that both Ubuntu & Windows came out with this look & feel at the same time, I don't recall which was first. On the other hand, Ubuntu with Unity may be better for those who prefers touchscreens. 

It's a matter of personal preference. See what my Linux Mint 17.1 desktop looks like. 

Screenshot-1-1.png

And how it looks with Windows 7 Home Premium with 6GiB RAM (no it's not a typo!) assigned to it & running through VirtualBox. Best of both worlds, though I'd like to try with VMWare Player to improve graphics WEI score. 

Screenshot-5-1.png

See, you have choice, and to be fair, you could do the same with Ubuntu, as long as your hardware can run it. 

It's good that you have that older notebook......perfect for Linux Mint MATE edition. It's a full fledged OS with LibreOffice included, and you can add other options, such as Skype for Linux, there's VLC Media Player (the same version as that for Windows), and Mint comes with all one needs to watch movies, play DVD's, lots of goodies. And doesn't need a ton of resources to run, 1 to 2GiB RAM is good, along with a 1.5GHz or greater CPU, this is recommended, one can get by on a little less than 2GiB or RAM, but 1GiB is essential. 

Best of all Linux Mint 17.1 is simple to learn. MATE is the 3rd version down, just make sure to select the correct bit version for your notebook. 

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Whatever you decide, remember, there's no such thing as "dumb" questions here, other than the one not asked when in need. That's what we're here for, to assist the community. There will be times when you need a helping hand, and fortunately you've found the right place. There are no personal attacks allowed here, as what goes on at some dedicated Linux forums, and we're not into OS bashing (I run both Linux & Windows, as you can see), though some may state they don't like an OS brand, personal harassment over which OS one runs will not be tolerated here by anyone. 

We're here to help you in achieving your goals.  :thumbup2:

Good Luck with Linux! :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#11 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 09:59 PM

Would you tell me more about Virtual Box? I have a friend who has a Mac,and he runs Windows 7 with virtual box on his Mac. How does that work, and I really like the idea of Linux Mint- I thought it would be more difficult to learn than Ubuntu.

#12 Digital_Veil

Digital_Veil

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 01 January 2015 - 10:08 PM

Would you tell me more about Virtual Box? I have a friend who has a Mac,and he runs Windows 7 with virtual box on his Mac. How does that work, and I really like the idea of Linux Mint- I thought it would be more difficult to learn than Ubuntu.

Virtual Box is a virtual machine. It lets you run an operating system inside another one. So you can create an isolated environment inside the virtual machine which you can tinker with however you want. Whatever you do inside it, stays inside of it. It's perfect for testing purposes.

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,247 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 10:17 PM

It lets you run an operating system inside another one.

Or more than 1 depending on the power of the PC. Virtual machine is also a great way of testing operating systems.

Here's me playing with Virtual machine The main OS is Kubuntu 14.

http://youtu.be/Heeeg98kaaY

Edited by NickAu, 01 January 2015 - 10:18 PM.

Arch Linux .

#14 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 12:32 AM

Just a quick tip on opening a terminal window - CTRL + ALT + T - nice quick keyboard shortcut for Ubuntu to open a terminal window. If you have the default Unity Desktop environment that is, if you have installed something else it probably won't work with out actually adding that in to the keyboard shortcuts.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 01:03 AM

I suspect your friend may be running Windows 7 in BootCamp, an Apple (or Mac) only exclusive. 

VirtualBox is how one can run an OS inside of an OS, kind of like the old idea of a "TV inside of a TV" back in the 90's. The cool thing about VirtualBox, is that it's a choice in your Software Manager & can be quickly installed, and you can install much anything that can be installed to the guest OS if it were the main one. There are a couple of nags, such as popping in a USB drive & opening it in the virtual OS, but there are workarounds. As of late, I haven't downloaded VirtualBox straight from the site to see if it would make a difference (it can be installed that way, but I was playing it safe), but it seems that the older versions were better than the new in this area (USB support). 

Like as of yet, I haven't been able to connect my webcam nor printer, with older versions, this was a dropdown click away. 

I'm also interested in trying VMware Player, where one gets better graphics support, this is great for gamers & could be a deciding factor to switch to Linux for some users. That way, one has the best of both worlds. Looks like I'm going to have to create a Topic on this, as the instructions provided to install aren't working. Normally, what runs on Ubuntu 14.04 will also on Linux Mint 17/17.1, as the current Mint versions are based on Ubuntu 14.04. 

To run virtual machines though, one needs adequate resources, preferably a dual core CPU running at 2.0GHz or higher, and 6GiB or more RAM (4GiB if running light Linux OS's), though one cannot have "too much" memory if VM's are being used. 8GiB or more is preferred, so that the user can at least lend the full 3.25GiB RAM that a 32 bit OS can handle w/out going over half of the system's total RAM amount (the user will be warned if getting close to half the available RAM). One reason why I upped my RAM from 12 to 24GiB, if I tried to lend 6GiB to the guest Windows 7 64 bit OS, I'd be warned it was too much, and being peculiar, I don't like the sound or idea of 5GiB, prefer to stick with even numbers. I cannot overstate how imperative adequate RAM is to run VM's & they run as good (or better) as native mode. 

One can also assign more than one CPU (or core) to the VM, another surefire option to boost performance, as well as enable PAE/NX, required for some OS's, as well as enable the host I/O cache. If one has an SSD, even if the VM is on a HDD, which is recommended, the host I/O cache can give a powerful speed boost. 

VM's also runs better if the CPU has native support for these, the option may be on one's BIOS if so, with others it's automatic. In rare cases, a BIOS may need to be downgraded to a previous version to have VM (called VT in these terms) support, but flashing the BIOS is not a risk free action. Usually VirtualBox would (or may still) run on computers w/out native support, but with reduced function, or so that's the way it was when I was running it on older computers. As software progresses, some of the old rules changes, so I'm not going to promise that today's VirtualBox will run on non-optimized hardware. 

Unfortunately, I don't know if the older builds are available for Linux, as they were for Windows. 

One can also run other Linux OS's through VirtualBox, and for this, one doesn't need as much RAM. Most any version of Linux will run find on 1 to 1.5GiB of RAM, some "lite" versions, less than that, though I recommend 1GiB minimum for most anything, to get the best performance. However, if all the RAM one has is 2GiB, that user can try running the guest with 512 to 768MiB RAM, this will at least allow the user to see how the guest OS runs, if it'll be liked, and so on. 

Finally, one doesn't need anything other than the ISO of the OS to be installed, but optical media can be used if this isn't available. It's just that the ISO will install the OS with blazing fast speed, even on a not so powerful computer. After going through the virtual disk creation wizard, this is where one chooses the size of the disk & builds it, before configuring other settings, once all is done, when the machine is started, point the media source to where the ISO is, it takes over from there. Do not format the partition if installing Windows 7 or higher when installing, that 100MiB system partition isn't needed on a VM. 

Another way, if the user has limited hardware resources, is to boot & run from Live DVD, or Flash drive installer. Most all Linux install media doubles as a Live OS, and that's a plus. Many Windows users has saved their valuable files (such as photos & software) from sure loss through this method, if the OS is too severely infected to clean by normal methods. 

This is just scratching the surface on VirtualBox, the best way to learn, as I did, was through hands on experience. Took me 2-3 months to get comfortable with VirtualBox, but still learn new tricks myself. 

Hope that this is of some assistance.  :thumbup2:

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 02 January 2015 - 01:05 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users