Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

mscorsvw.exe taking up a lot of CPU

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 unfortunatefool

unfortunatefool

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:54 PM

Oh no!

After receiving a windows update that took forever to load and install, I now have mscorsvw.exe running at a high CPU rate and more updates to install from Windows. I am now running in safe mode.

This seems very fishy.  I'm pretty good at checking the Task Manager and there are entirely new with processes going up by the moment.  Please, please help.

Thanks so much.

Sincerely,

Matt

P.S.  I have MBAM and Microsoft Security Essentials installed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:11 PM

Sounds like poweliks. MBAM has had success removing it.

You may be blocked from updating MBAM and scanning with it by the malware.

Try running a scan after updating MBAM and see if it finds and removes poweliks.

If you have run a scan already and it did not find poweliks then use the Eset Poweliks Tool.

Please download Powelikscleaner (by ESET) and save it to your Desktop.

• Double-click ESETPoweliksCleaner.exe to start the tool.
  • Read the terms of the End-user license agreement and click Agree if you agree to them.
  • The tool will run automatically. If the cleaner finds a Poweliks infection, press the Y key on your keyboard to remove it.
  • If Poweliks was detected "Win32/Poweliks was successfully removed from your system" will be displayed. Press any key to exit the tool and reboot your PC.
  • Let me know if poweliks was found and removed as shown in the bottom image.

1.png
2.png

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,764 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:57 PM

After receiving a windows update that took forever to load and install, I now have mscorsvw.exe running at a high CPU rate and more updates to install from Windows. I am now running in safe mode.

Was one of the updates related to .NET Framework? If so, this is FYI...

Mscorsvw.exe is a legitimate process that is part of the Microsoft .NET Runtime Optimization Service. The file is used to precompile Microsoft .NET framework assemblies in the background and used by programs requiring .NET Framework. Microsoft released Article ID: 2571181 advising that a computer can stop responding in some cases if you install .NET Framework 4 or when the .NET Runtime Optimization Service starts.

The .NET Framework Optimization Service typically runs when the .NET Framework is installed on a computer or when the .NET Framework is serviced by Windows Update. If you install any .NET Framework updates, it is not uncommon after the patch is installed for mscorsvw.exe to show high amounts of CPU usage for a short duration..
However, if there are entirely new with processes showing up that needs to be investigated.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users