Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC infinite boot loop no safe mode

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mat58

mat58

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:51 PM

Hello,

I am trying to help a friend get their PC back up and running.  Toshiba Satellite C55D-A5201 running Windows 8 OS (unsure if 8.0 or 8.1).  The PC is in an infinite boot loop when all that comes up is the Toshiba Logo.  There is some kind of splash message about windows version (almost impossible to detect, no windows logo at all).  

I am unable to boot to safe mode.    The only place I can get to is the BIOS.    I don't know if this is a malware problem or something else has gone wrong.   

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:01 PM

Power off the computer. Power on and tap F12. Does a boot menu appear with HDD Recovery as an option? Select that and enter. You should get another menu with the option to use Advanced Options and Troubleshooting. Select Advanced Options and then Automatic Repair.

#3 mat58

mat58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:21 PM

Before I complete this step, will this reboot the hard drive?  I get a message about "Hard Drive Recovery has been select are you sure?"  Want to check in case I need to back up any user files.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:28 PM

From here (option 3) Toshiba says you will get the next menu showing the options. 

1. On the next screen you are asked to confirm if you want to contiue with recovery. Select "Yes".
  2. The computer will bring you to the Advanced startup screen.
  3. Select Troubleshoot.
  4. Select Advanced options.
  5. Select Startup settings.
  6. Press Restart.
  7. Select Safe Mode from the list.

This will not do a factory reset or a refresh. That option is under the troubleshoot option as noted here.

Edit: Pressing the Restart Option will get you to Safe Mode.

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 December 2014 - 09:30 PM.

#5 mat58

mat58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:57 PM

Unfortunately, I get every option EXCEPT Startup Settings.  

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:10 PM

If you select Troubleshoot and then Advanced Options what options do you have?  Edit: You have Startup Repair, correct?

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 December 2014 - 10:12 PM.

#7 mat58

mat58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:15 PM

There is an "Automatic Repair" option, but not "Startup Repair".    Others are:

System Restore

System Image Recovery

Command Prompt

UEFI Firmware Settings

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:27 PM

If the computer has restore points, you could restore it to a date before the problem began. 

If I can remember, some people were able to start safe mode by holding down the shift key while powering up the computer.

Selecting Command prompt and then at the prompt type:

msconfig

Does this bring up the Msconfig window? If it does, then you can go to the boot tab and check Safe Mode > MInimal then restart.

#9 mat58

mat58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 11:53 PM

msconfig at the DOS prompt did nothing.  There is a restore point from October 26.  When I select it tells me the disk has errors.   When I checked the disk for errors, it asked me to SCAN and REPAIR.    I repaired the drive and ran the restore point  (this is the latest one).  A restart of the computer resulted with "Restoring your previous version of Windows".   I'm back in the system now.  Creating a new restore point and updating Windows.  Hopefully the problem is resolved.   Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2014 - 09:08 AM

Glad you got it working again and thanks for the update. I believe there was some file corruption and that was why you did not have all available options but that is just a guess.

Edit: It was my fault also for not suggesting Automatic Repair as the name was changed from Windows 7 Startup Repair which I was thinking about. This may have also started the disk repair.

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 December 2014 - 09:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users