Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Used Computer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 anamte3

anamte3

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 30 December 2014 - 07:59 PM

We just bought my step-daughter a used computer and it has so much stuff on it I don't know where to start deleting stuff. It seems to over heat some but we bought a cooling pad to hopefully help. I just need some help deleting everything that is un needed on it. Thanks in advance. Im hoping if I delete everything un-needed then it will speed up the computer and free up alot of space and my help with the overheating 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:08 PM

Hello -

Is this another computer, and not related to >> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/561525/windows-8-clean-install/

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,746 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:11 PM

FWIW:  IMO, the best thing to do with a system formerly owned by someone else...is to do a clean install of the O/S or restore to factory defaults.  Otherwise, there is no way to guage the depth or quantity of problems that may be encountered.

Louis

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:15 PM

Hello -

Is this another computer, and not related to >> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/561525/windows-8-clean-install/

I am pretty sure this is a different computer. The one in a thread running parallel to your link is a ASUS X55U ultrabook.

anamte3, I would follow hamluis's advice and if the computer still has a recovery partition, factory reset it. If I remember correctly, you tried to install Windows 7 on the ASUS X55U. Maybe you can use that disk and key if the recovery partition is not intact. Edit: You can check for a Recovery Partition in Disk Management. Right click Computer > Manage > Disk Management. What is the make and mode of the laptop?

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 December 2014 - 08:21 PM.

#5 anamte3

anamte3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:21 PM

yes it is a different computer sorry. My computer is ASUS. the one that we bought used it ACER and its my step-daughter's 

#6 anamte3

anamte3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:24 PM

I no longer have the bootable flash drive I made to install the windows 7 on my computer. I may can get windows 8.1 OS from my college but I really dont know since i did just get windows 8 for my computer. I have checked and it does not have a recovery point. 

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,645 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:31 PM

For the Acer, you need to enable d2d in BIOS if you have that setting. Then when booting hold the Alt + F10 key. This should bring up the factory reset manager if the recovery partition is intact. You would need to backup any data  your step-daughter saved to the computer.

Factory Reset Outside of Windows

Factory Reset Inside of Windows

Edit: I just saw your post. I think the only option then is to delete any programs not needed and possibly do a defrag but Windows 7 is set to defrag automatically.

Edit: Edit: There may be a way to reinstall Windows 7 on the computer. The Window 7 iso's are available for download and if you backup your key and activation files, you should be good to go. You may need to activate Windows 7 by phone after the install.

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 December 2014 - 08:37 PM.

#8 anamte3

anamte3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 04:07 PM

I checked and I am able to get window 8.1 for it from Microsoft DreamSpark! I may just do that instead! I know some about computers but not a whole lot! I check in the control panel for the reset but it did not have one! I have only been to the bios once to fix the time and date because almost every time she shuts it down it changes the date to January 2009! I am just going to order her the 8.1os and hopefully that will fix it for now! We didn't pay much for it so its understandable that it runs slow!  

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,645 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 04:18 PM

Nice. The computer should be able to run Windows 8.1. You can let Microsoft scan the computer to see what if anything needs to be updated.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/compatcenter/home

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,746 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 04:39 PM

! I have only been to the bios once to fix the time and date because almost every time she shuts it down it changes the date to January 2009!

That would probably indicate that the CMOS battery needs replacement and doing so could possibly resolve some issues you are experiencing, IMO.

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/81

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users