Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with my brother's laptop??

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SlowMO

SlowMO

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 30 December 2014 - 07:20 PM

Not entirely sure if this is the right thread, but it has to do with drivers for my brother's laptop. Since they work jointly with internal hardware, I guess it works...kind of.

So, my brother has had his Toshiba Satellite for a couple years now and he thought it was getting pretty slow. He bought a Sandisk 128gb SSD and he also had an unused copy of Windows 7. So, instead of backing up any of his info from his HDD, he simply pulled it out, installed the SSD, and installed Windows 7. Problem is, he can't seem to get any of the drivers to stick. I took a look at it when I got home and tried installing a couple myself, but nothing worked.

With no internet drivers, I used my laptop and went to Toshiba's support page, took the first basic driver I could find (Display Driver) and downloaded it to my USB key. I plugged it into his laptop, installed it, and restarted the laptop. Upon rebooting, the display was still skewed, with only 900x600 and 1024x768 resolutions available.

I'm kind of lost on this one. I'm not familiar with Intel or Toshiba at all. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 30 December 2014 - 07:47 PM

Do you have model number for the Toshiba? Is Windows 7 32 bit or 64bit?

In Device Manager right click the Wireless Adapter under Network Adapters. Select Properties and under the Details tab select Hardware ID's in the dropdown box. What is the first line shown?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users