Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vipre internet security

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BKStagg5

BKStagg5

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 30 December 2014 - 04:59 PM

Hello everyone, I'm BKStagg. And this is my first post.  
I just purchased the vipre internet security 2015 for my laptop. Before i install it, I want to know what other users think.

Edit: Topic moved from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:08 PM

VIPRE Anti-virus, previously owned by GFI, is now developed by ThreatTrack Security Inc. but it was originally introduced in May 2010 by Sunbelt Counterspy...one of the early pioneers in anti-spyware protection with an outstanding reputation for years. Counterspy was officially discontinued a year later and customers were offered the option to switch to VIPRE Anti-virus supported by GFI.

I have never personally used VIPRE. I have read it that it's blocking of malicious downloads was only adequate and that it's zero-day malware detection was below average. Generally if you're dealing with zero-day malware it's unlikely most anti-virus testing is going to detect anything since it takes time for new malware to be reported, samples collected, analyzed, and tested by anti-virus researchers before they can add a new threat to database definitions. The researchers at ThreatTrack Security need to show some improvement in these areas.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 BKStagg5

BKStagg5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:22 PM

Thank you quietman7. I really could use all the help I can get. If it's not too much trouble.......... Who can you recommend to protect my computer. 

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:13 PM

VIPRE does offer a free trial which allows you to utilize the program for a limited time and exeperiment how well it peforms on your system.

I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus if choosing a paid for program as it leaves a small footprint...meaning it is not intrusive and does not utilize a lot of system resources. Emsisoft Anti-Malware is also a good choice if looking for a paid for program and so is Kaspersky Anti-virus. If you don't want to pay then I would recommend avast! Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition.

For other alternatives to consider, please read:Also keep in mind than an anti-virus program alone does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats. Therefore, you need both an anti-virus and an anti-malware solution for maximum protection. Please read:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users