Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with upgrading a computer

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Thing5000

Thing5000

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 30 December 2014 - 04:21 PM

A few years ago I bought a computer and have been upgrading it over about 2 years. I have a bit of knowledge with computers but I am having a bit of trouble with it now. I upgraded the video card to a Gigabyte GTX 660 Windforce and processor to an Intel I5-3470 3.2 Ghz. Before I got the processor I used the gtx 660 but my computer kept locking up (everything would just stop but the computer would still run) and I always needed to turn it off by holding the power button. I thought it may have been the video card so I swapped it back for the old one I had (GT 630) and waited till I got a new processor, thinking that may fix it.

I am at a loss now though as it still crashes every so often with the new processor. I checked the temperature of the CPU and the video card and nothing is wrong. they don't overheat before it locks up, nor does it show any signs of it doing anything to cause it. it also seems to be random as it crashed on a game once but after a reset I could play the game with no problem.

CPU: Intel i5-3470

MOBO: CM6730

RAM: 2 X 4GB DDR3

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zach6656

Zach6656

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 30 December 2014 - 06:06 PM

Try Runnung Ubuntu form a flash drive and maybe that would stop it from crashing... i would definently try Ubuntu from a Flash Drive... if you have a spar HDD try wiping it and installing Ubuntu on it as a temporary fix

always use DD-WRT for all your routers, if you cant get it for them, throw them away

#3 Thing5000

Thing5000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 07:44 PM

Just a question but is it possible that my motherboard is the cause?

I searched for solution to the problem for a while thinking the video card was the problem and found nothing of use to me.

Is it possible for a motherboard to be incompatible with a video card? as in the video card plugs in but may cause some problems?

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:13 PM

Have you tried to run the PC without a video card? If not try removing the card and see if your PC will boot with the onboard graphic's.

Try Runnung Ubuntu form a flash drive and maybe that would stop it from crashing... i would definently try Ubuntu from a Flash Drive... if you have a spar HDD try wiping it and installing Ubuntu on it as a temporary fix

What is wrong with booting from a Live disk? There is no need to " Wipe " anything.

To create a Live Ubuntu Disk.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close.

You may need to reset BIOS so your PC can boot from CD/DVD. Do you know how to do this?

Edited by NickAu, 30 December 2014 - 08:15 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#5 Zach6656

Zach6656

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:46 PM

Have you tried to run the PC without a video card? If not try removing the card and see if your PC will boot with the onboard graphic's.

What is wrong with booting from a Live disk? There is no need to " Wipe " anything.

To create a Live Ubuntu Disk.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close.

You may need to reset BIOS so your PC can boot from CD/DVD. Do you know how to do this?

instead of windows disk imager use Rufus... i tried using android x86 with that ISO tool and i got errors... i ould use Rufus... it needs no signatures

always use DD-WRT for all your routers, if you cant get it for them, throw them away

#6 Zach6656

Zach6656

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:48 PM

oh and theres nothing wrong with a live disk... just that he may want a more permanent setup until he gets the parts needed to fix it.

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:23 PM

First lets see what Thing5000 reports regarding trying to boot the PC with onboard Graphics.

Some problems are more complicated than others and require additional work to isolate the issue. So, try not to overwhelm the user with possible conflicting information during the troubleshooting process. Wait for the user to report back that step 1 is done and the result before suggesting anything new,

Edited by NickAu, 30 December 2014 - 09:23 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#8 Zach6656

Zach6656

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:25 PM

Good idea :D (not being sarcastic there)

#9 Thing5000

Thing5000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:24 PM

Tried removing the card and now the computer won't turn back on...

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:56 PM

Thing5000,  :welcome: to BC Forums!

I see that you have some issues going on & trying to figure out what. 

What model of PSU did you install? Didn't see it in your specs. May want to test that first, to ensure you have a good one. Secondly, a bad one can take a lot of other components with it, but lets hope this isn't the case here. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#11 Thing5000

Thing5000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 11:02 PM

The PSU is a fs8003 acbel. Power is going to the PSU. Gonna see if something happened to the power button wire.

#12 Thing5000

Thing5000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 11:12 PM

Nothing looks wrong. Power is getting to the motherboard and the PSU shows a green light but it won't turn on...

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 11:14 PM

I see, 625W should run that setup fine, depending on how much the power the GPU is using. Looks like one that Lenovo uses on some of their models. 

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-acbel-625w-server-power-supply-FS8003/1215397917.html

Looking at your GPU, my 460W one should run it fine, 450W is recommended, though this may vary between different brands using the same chip. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130825

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 30 December 2014 - 11:15 PM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#14 Thing5000

Thing5000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 11:20 PM

Finally got it to start up again.
Now am testing without the video card and with Intel graphics

#15 Thing5000

Thing5000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 11:25 PM

Makes it passed starting windows and then shows a black screen but I was able to login. Can't see anything onscreen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users