Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to Install Programs to Thumb Drive?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 30 December 2014 - 03:18 PM

I need to run some programs (to fix an ailing computer) from a thumb drive.  How do I do that?  Do I download them directly to the thumbdrive and click the install button from them sitting on my thumbdrive?  These are diagnostic tools like Adwcleaner, RogueKiller, etc.

I tried watching a video but the demonstrator went to a special site for portable apps.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 894 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 01 January 2015 - 10:54 PM

Although I have nothing to say about how to use diagnostic programs, you should not be afraid at least, of installing portable applications  (from portableapps.com) onto a usb flash drive.

(1) Download the portable apps application launcher.

(2) Download the installer for the portable application you want to have.

(3) Run the installer for the portable apps launcher, and BE SURE TO CHOOSE your drive letter of your usb flash drive as the destination.

(4) Run the installer of the portable app application that you want, and be sure you choose or allow to install into where you installed your launcher.

Find where to download the portable apps platform here:  http://portableapps.com/download

Find some support information including how to install, here:  http://portableapps.com/support/platform

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,901 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 02 January 2015 - 11:22 AM

For (almost) any program you can download you can save it's installer .exe file to a USB thumbdrive for purposes of backing it up (you would just plug in the USB drive to your computer copy the exe file from it to the hard-drive, remove the USB drive and then run the exe file to reinstall if you had ever accidentaly uninstalled the program) or for installing it on other computers (especially those without internet connections), i say this only works for some exe files as some (the installers for antivirus programs which want to update themselves immediately, or for adobe flash where you run the installer and it downloads some of the files it needs ,are examples) demand a connection during installation, whilst others contain within them all the data they need to perform installation of the program.

There are also some special programs (often described as portable) which don't need installation, you just run the exe file, these, like installer exe files can be saved to a USB stick or cd-rw or dvd, but when you plug this stick into a computer you can just run this sort of program straight away. Adwcleaner and most of the diagnostic and some of the virus killing tools on bleepingcomputer are already in this portable form, you can just download them normally and copy the exe file to the USB stick, then plug it into other computers to run it there. This setup won't run the exe file as soon as you plug the USb stick in, and in general it would be better to plug the stick in, copy the exe from the stick to the harddrive and then run the exe file from the hard-drive but it culd work to run the exe file straight from the stick in some cases.

Edited by rp88, 02 January 2015 - 11:24 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users