Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Your First Computer

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:21 PM

Remember that faithfull day that you got your first pc hookup all those confusing cables and had your first pc experience. I thought it would be fun if everyone would post what there first pc was and what there new one is now...

Me I got my first PC in 1997 (I was only 7 :thumbsup:)

It was a Pentium 2 233Mhz with 64Mb of ram (I was on fire...)

Don't remember what the video card was but something like 4 or 8 mb...

and had a sound card and modem in those big ass brown slots in the bottom of the mobo don't even know what they are called....

It also had a 3 gigabyte hardrive...

I lived with this pc with a few modification (new 40 gig hardrive, added 128 mb of ram, an ethernet card) until 2004 yeah it's not mispelled I had that load of crap until my parents finally decided to buy a new computer... and that is because I purposely crashed it until my dad said well I need a computer so let's go get a new one... after he had signed the paper and paid for the new computer for some reason the old came back to life :flowers:

Now I am running a P4 3.0 GHz HT, a gig of RAM, ATI 9600 Pro video card, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Sound Card, a DVD Burner and CD-Rom drive, TV@nywhere Tv Tuner card and an 80 gig hardrive.

I still can't beleive I lived with the P2 untill 2004 (I am a gamer by the way...)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:40 PM

This will date me, but the first home computer I had was a Vic20, with a tape drive and something like 19,000 memory. Most of the software for it I programmed in Commodore Basic, but there were a few games and some software available. Think of the great improvement when I got a C64, with a floppy drive (5 1/4 inch, of course), and ALL THAT RAM!!!.
My profile has the current computer stats- - -what a difference.
Cheers,
John

Edited by jgweed, 20 June 2006 - 08:41 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:01 PM

I don't remember the exact specs of my family's first compy...but I do remember that it was called a Tandy, and it had less than a gig of hard drive space! By contrast, my current laptop (Toshiba Satellite series) has a forty gig HD! My family currently has a Hewlet-Packard, running on Windows XP SP2, with a 30 gig HD. I like my laptop better! :thumbsup:

It should be noted, though, that one of my favorite games on the Tandy was Secret of Monkey Island, and I now have that same game on my laptop...so, I guess some things don't change. :flowers:

#4 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:20 PM

IBM I think.
25 MHz.
Booted from a DOS floppy.

#5 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:54 PM

Can't remember the kind of rig it was, but I do remember it being Windows 3.1. I got one word that still makes me laugh........BOB.....

Shortly after I was going through my teenage years, so computers didn't even cross my mind for years, unless there was a cute girl sitting by one, and even then I was to chicken.......but, when I discovered my inner Geek, it was not a pretty site. Had some radiator emiting rig that had a Cyrix 166 processor, and that was screamin fast.....then got a P3 with Windows Millenium on it.......That was a learning process. Learning how to recover from the "BSOD". Then I had a Gateway with a 2.8 Celeron, in which I got my education on, and Now, I got a Dell 9100 Pentium D Dual Core 3.0 ghz, 2 gigs of RAM sound and video cards, 450 gigs of storage, and my favorite part......Dual 24" Dell Widescreen displays.

I call her Cristine!...LOL

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:55 PM

I actually got a IBM for my first pc. I think it had like a 500mb hard drive or 300mb hard drive. It ran on 3.11. We had two like this one had a bigger hard drive and one a smaller. But our first pc was a IBM that ran on 3.11. They had I think just came out with windows 95 so we got our first home pc in 95 or 96...

When I took them apart last year after years in storage one had a 96mhz cpu in it I think(the ibm with 3.11) and the other with 3.11 too had a intel socket 454 whatever mhz it was I dont remember. It was cool though it was like porcelin and blue.

We then got a 98 in 1999 or 2000 which we kept for 5 years(until last year I built BUILT my first computer)

The old 98 had 350mhz which was okay for then and 96mb ram....It had those errors 98's have.

This program has performed a illegal task and needs to close. Right when you just got to using it. There was no option of "I DONT CARE" just a close button and details button.

Now the computer is stored in a building.

My xp pc is running great with its AMD 3200(pretty nice last year...technology moves so fast) and 512mb ram and 128mb vid card.

What a improvement over the 3.11 pc we had.

But that 3.11 had a game on it! Yes besides a solitair game and paint it had a gold game. When you went to DOS and typed in GOLF you got this descent(then and not bad today but not 3d) gold game. You simply hit the ball around with your guy(who moved with the ball you didnt walk him) until you got it into the hole. One time I even made it hit the flag pole and bounce off it instead of going in the hole.

And the dot matrix printer...

PS I had not trouble hooking even our first pc up after it was hooked up for me once. I was only 6 or 7 years old then. I learned a lot lot once I got to school in 3rd grade and played with the 95. My grandpa got a 98 before we did and I learned a lot more on it. Read the complete idiots guide he bought for 98 and about memorized it. Now I can do just about anything with a computer but program. And I dont want to program I found out. lol

Edited by cowsgonemadd3, 20 June 2006 - 11:02 PM.

#7 AMD010

AMD010

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2006 - 12:04 AM

packard bell- 75 mhz, 12 megs of ram, 100 meg HD, win95. i OCed it to a 100 mhz, and upgraded to like 20 megs of ram, woohoo! I could play diablo I and starcraft. dont forget ski free!!
Win XP Pro, Windows 7, Ubuntu. AMD Athlon X2 5600+ 4x1GB DDR2800, 500 GB SATA, Geforce 8500GT.

MCTS, A+, Net+.

Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Posted Image
Fight Spam! Click Here!

#8 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2006 - 12:19 AM

Dell Inspiron 6000.

Its a piece of crap and I can't wait to get my Compaq next week...
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#9 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2006 - 12:55 AM

The first computer experiences i had were of an old macintosh in elementary schools (green and black screen), and a basic word processor at my house. The first pc my family owned ran windows 95, had 800mb HD, i think ~650mhz, and i THINK 16 ram.... That was back in the day though..... we all had to start somewhere

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 21 June 2006 - 01:10 AM

Hmm. Around 85ish I aquired a IBM 8086 4.77Mhz and 64Kbs of RAM (Kb not Bb). I start with two 128Kb, 8 inch floppies, moved to a tape drive and ended up with a 5 mg hard drive. The hard drive was as big as modern CDrom but twice as thick. I think it ran a OS called C/PM. I quickly moved to DOS. The video was CGA, which was high end for the time. 6 ISA 8-bit slots. A 150 baud modem (that is .15Kbps) which connected by placing the telephone hand set into two rubber boots that wrapped around the speaker and mic. We did not have the internet. We chatted via BBB (Bulletin board).
God, Moore's Law was slow getting here back then.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#11 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 21 June 2006 - 06:02 AM

Bought our first computer, Atari 65XE, back in 1988. Loaded up via cassette tape, (really learned the meaning of patience) then graduated to 5 1/4" floppy, whee!! Don't remember the specs but they were pretty good for their day. Won 'Home Computer of the Year' for several years. Still have that machine but need another 1050 floppy drive - anyone??? Kids still have an Atari ST around somewhere.

Edited by rowal5555, 21 June 2006 - 06:04 AM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#12 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2006 - 09:20 AM

ski free yes ours had that too!
It was the best game on there next to battlechess and solitair

#13 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 21 June 2006 - 09:32 AM

It was back in 1986 (i think) an Amstrad cpc 464,with and wait for it.......a colour monitor! They were rare back then,mainly only green screens were available. It had a blue back drop and the font was yellow. The main games were 'Head over Heels' (anyone remember that one?) Wonderboy was brill on it and Superman (which took around 30mins to load on the cassette,then would crash somtimes). But the game that took my childhood for a few months at least....Double Dragon.

I dont have it anymore and looking back the graphics (if you can call them that) were.....well....i think you all know what i mean.

But i have many fond memories of that system.......Oh happy days! :thumbsup:
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#14 LaChica

LaChica

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2006 - 12:49 PM

i dont remeber but I got it when i was 5 I played a lot of little kids games and those educational ones like Jumpstart Kindergarden all the way till 5th. I remembered when i was in 1st grade i wanted to learn more so i asked my parents to get me the Jumpstart games from the library. i was playing the 4th grade one.
Posted Image

#15 Daniel3679

Daniel3679

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 22 June 2006 - 03:11 PM

i think mine was a amstrad pc955 545 mb hdd cd rom 95w psu 4mb ram 90mhz processor

with windows 95
Dan - If its not broken dont fix it

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users