Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus With Internet

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gballer1503

gballer1503

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 30 December 2014 - 03:05 PM

I've had my Macbook for a good 5 years now and it has never given me any problems I or the tech savvy people in my family couldn't solve. Recently, however i have been getting  an abundance of pop up websites when I open safari and my home page for the internet says "Only Search" which one of my relatives told me wasn't a good sign. I get pop ups frequently when I open up let say Nordstrom's webpage and I don't know why. It is very frustrating to me because when I have to do research for school, I am delayed due to all of the problems Safari is giving me. 

If anyone has any idea of what I should do or how I should fix this, Please let me know as soon as possible!

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dante12

dante12

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 30 December 2014 - 04:53 PM

Hello gballer1503,

Please download AdwareMedic from here: Version 2.2

Step 1: 

- Open the DMG-File and move the AdwareMedic.app to the Program-Folder.

Step 2:

- Start the app and choose the Button Scan for Adware

- If AdwareMedic found any Adware  they will be move to the trash folder.

Step 3:

- Restart your Mac

Step 4:

- Open again AdwareMedic and choose from the menu Scanner and then Open Log File

- Choose all the entries with Command-A and then  Copy and Paste the results here in Code-Tags. 

Step 5:

- Please download EtreCheck from here: Download EtreCheck

- Open the zip-File and move the app to your Program-Folder

- Start Etrecheck

- After complete choose the Button Copy report to Clipboard at the bottom left side, and Paste the content in Code-Tags here in the thread. 

Thank you,

-dante

#3 Twin B

Twin B

• Members
  • 246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:47 PM

Although not specifically for adware, ClamXav is another good program for your toolbox. Here's the link:

http://www.clamxav.com/

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

#4 girlguru

girlguru

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 09 January 2015 - 10:48 AM

In addition, Either reset Safari or go into its preferences and change the homepage and search settings back to whatever defaults you had.  Check the extensions and remove any unknown extensions.  Bitdefender also has an adware removal tool you can download from the App store for free.  And I would install Sophos antivirus for Mac (also free) to scan more deeply, although Adware Medic is your first stop for virus removal.

Edited by girlguru, 09 January 2015 - 10:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users