Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

want to re-use old monitor with 1280x1024 resolution. Which PC?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MrDodge

MrDodge

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 30 December 2014 - 02:59 PM

The LCD monitor has VGA and DVI-D inputs, and the native resolution is 1280x1024@60Hz, i.e. the old fashioned aspect ratio rather than widescreen.  I'd prefer to use the digital connection.  So should I avoid PCs that have a video output with HDMI, and try to find one with DVI? I realise that HDMI to DVI adapter cables are available, but I'm wondering if 1280x1024 might cause a problem. thanks in advance guys.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,879 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 30 December 2014 - 04:28 PM

There should be no problem with the resolution, just treat it like any other monitor. The digital connection gives theoretically the best results, and an HDMI to DVI cable works fine, I use them all the time. The video signal is the same for each, just the connector is different.

Edited by Platypus, 30 December 2014 - 04:29 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 MrDodge

MrDodge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 01 January 2015 - 05:48 AM

ok, thanks mate

#4 Platypus

Platypus