Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wifi Speed has ground to a halt

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Insp. Bumstead

Insp. Bumstead

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 30 December 2014 - 02:14 PM

A few days ago my wifi speed suddenly dropped off very sharply.  I get around 8 Mbps on a wired connection which isn't fast by any means, and 3 Mbps on another laptop with the same network.

Currently my connection is registering around 40 kbps, in other words, slower than dialup.   I've tried resetting the router, changing channels and even re-installing the driver but nothing is working.  Sites like Facebook take around 15 minutes to load, that is if they don't time out first.  Webmail takes several minutes to render a text-based message.  It's frustratingly slow.

Could someone help me out with this?

Edited by hamluis, 30 December 2014 - 04:07 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 30 December 2014 - 05:48 PM

Your first step should be to call the ISP and have them do a line and modem check. 

#3 Insp. Bumstead

Insp. Bumstead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 12:51 PM

I've done that already.  The wired connection is fine and I get a decent, albeit not very fast, wifi connection with other devices.

#4 Insp. Bumstead

Insp. Bumstead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2015 - 08:47 AM

No other replies?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users