Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the following folder all about

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,967 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:53 PM

C:\Users\(username of administrator user)\Appdata\Local\Microsoft\SmartScreen\

It's full of .tmp files which when opened with notepad have text along the lines of

D:\Users\(administrator user's user name)\(various folders within "my documents", "my pictures", "downloads" or other folders)\file name.extension11.000000

I know from the folder name it boviosuly has something to do with smartscreen but I would like to understand what. The files are only a about 1 kilobyte each and seem to contain nothing but that little piece of text. The names of these files all start with "ARC" and then some random letters or numbers. I know smartscreen works alongside UAC do give you "are you sure" prompts when you run an exe file, but these tmp files here mention files which are almost all non-executable types, jpg files, png files. Some of the files which are mentioned in these tmp files are one's i have downloaded through firefox or through chrome, others are files i made on ths machine. And the dates of creation or modification for these tmp files do not match the date on which i create or downloaded the files they talk about, nor do thye match the date on which the files they refer to were last opened. I'm not concerned about this, nor planning to change anything but i would like to understand what these are about. I thought that all smartscreen did was somehow complement UAC in giving you warnings before you opened an exe file, or that it did something within internet explorer, but i never use internet explorer.
I would just like to know what is going on here and understand what these files are for, does SmartScreen regularly take a random look across the names of all the files saved on my hard-drive or something?
Why would something related to UAC take any interest in files which are not exe files?

Thanks

Edited by rp88, 30 December 2014 - 12:56 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users