Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem accessing computer on home network

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cpotter

cpotter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 27 November 2004 - 05:33 PM

Originally had desktop and laptop. Had home network set up without a problem. Desktop died. Just built 1st computer, new desktop. Setting up home network on new desktop. When accessing "My Network Places" on Desktop, I have access to all shared folders on desktop and laptop. However when trying to access "My Network Places" on laptop, I cannot see anything on network.

When exploring on laptop: my network places -> then entire network -> then Microsoft windows network, I get the message "Unable to browse the network. the network is not present or not started."

I'm connecting via a wireless NetGear router. The router is hardwired to my desktop lan card. Connecting wireless to my laptop. I can access the internet on either. Have tried tried network setup wizard multiple times on both computers, each time selecting "this computer connects to the internet through a residential gateway or through another computer on my network"

I'm running Windows XP SP2 on both computer.

Don't know what I'm doing wrong as I can access shared Laptop folders on my Desktop, but cannot even see the network or network computers on my Laptop.

Please help. Thanks in advance. Chad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 27 November 2004 - 06:38 PM

Have you gone through the network wizard on the desktop?
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#3 cpotter

cpotter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2004 - 08:57 PM

Yes.. Have gone through the network wizard on the Desktop. The desktop networking is running normally. Can see all shared directories/files of both the laptop and the desktop when using the desktop. When using the laptop, can not see either the desktop or laptop computers or shared directories/files on either. Perplexing.

Chad

#4 cpotter

cpotter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2004 - 10:20 PM

Any thoughts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users