Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft is building a new browser as part of its Windows 10 push

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,047 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:14 AM

Microsoft is building a new browser as part of its Windows 10 push

There's been talk for a while that Microsoft was going to make some big changes to Internet Explorer in the Windows 10 time frame, making IE "Spartan" look and feel more like Chrome and Firefox...Spartan is still going to use Microsoft's Chakra JavaScript engine and Microsoft's Trident rendering engine (not WebKit), sources say. As Neowin's Brad Sams reported back in September, the coming browser will look and feel more like Chrome and Firefox and will support extensions.

... if my sources are right, Spartan is not IE 12. Instead, Spartan is a new, light-weight browser Microsoft is building.

...Spartan is just a codename at this point. My sources don't know what Microsoft plans to call this new browser when it debuts.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:31 AM

No moar IE!

(the new guy should be better than IE... I hope)

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 52,047 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 11:00 AM

No moar IE!

Hardly...

Windows 10 (at least the desktop version) will ship with both Spartan and IE 11, my sources say. IE 11 will be there for backward-compatibility's sake. Spartan will be available for both desktop and mobile (phone/tablet) versions of Windows 10

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,558 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 11:33 AM

I like it

I do not have trouble with IE .. I have used it for years.. I actually only used other browsers to gain experience and first hand knowledge. That became necessary due to all the users in the forums.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 UNC61

UNC61

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 01:12 PM

I like it

I do not have trouble with IE .. I have used it for years.. I actually only used other browsers to gain experience and first hand knowledge. That became necessary due to all the users in the forums.

It is so kool to see someone else who uses IE with the fortitude to admit it. I am in it for the security.

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 30 December 2014 - 03:34 PM

the coming browser will look and feel more like Chrome and Firefox and will support extensions.

No matter how you dress it up a pig is still a pig.

Edited by NickAu, 17 March 2015 - 06:55 PM.

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 30 December 2014 - 05:30 PM

....and a Rose by any other name is still a Rose...and would smell just as sweet....or not !!

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#8 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:32 PM

Hehe Condobloke going all Shakespeare and stuff! Awesome lol :)

I use Google Chrome. Because it is the fastest and best IMO. For example, if I am in Chrome and need something, I simply Ctrl N and get a fast new fresh browser window with a cursor right where I need it...whereby I immediately start typing what I want to search for and press enter.

Done. 

It doesn't work this way with IE, at least not for me. And, I had no need to move to any other browser after moving to Chrome since Chrome works so well. Why would anyone think of trying to compete with Google at this point? lol

@NickAu...I am curious how browsers and search engines work with Linux. Is it the same? Do you also use Chrome or IE or FF? 

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 30 December 2014 - 11:06 PM

@NickAu...I am curious how browsers and search engines work with Linux. Is it the same?

Hi Stolen good question.

For the most part browsers work the same as Windows, the same plugins , Java etc. You still need AddBlockers and NoScript and a popup blocker is a must. Flash is no longer supported we are stuck on 11 but we still get security updates.

Here is an example, This will work on Windows as well.

Speed Up Firefox in Ubuntu 14.04 By Moving Cache to RAM

I use Firefox and Chromium.

Edit

I think what Stolen is saying is " Nick when I switch over to Linux will my browser be the same?"

The average user would not know the difference

Edited by NickAu, 30 December 2014 - 11:55 PM.

#10 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,081 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 31 December 2014 - 06:29 PM

Whatever this new browser turns out to be (and it might be completely different to IE and not reuse and of IE's code, or it might be almost identical but with som little alterations and a new name) I still intend to stick with FF for most of my browsing as i can run NoScript and Adblockplus in it and with chrome for the few sites that don't quite work in FF.

Stolen: I haven't used linux myslef but i know that although IE won't work on it :Firefox runs just like it does on windows, Google Chrome can be installed and will work just like on windows, there is also a program called chromium which is the open source software on which google chrome is based, it doesn't get bug fixes and updates like chrome does but it's fairly similar.

Edited by rp88, 31 December 2014 - 06:29 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#11 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:08 PM

I think the main issue of IE will remain. The browser will probably be fully integrated into the operating system. Bad idea the first time, and renaming the same folly and putting a new shiny Googlesque window on it does nothing to change the situation. We will see though.

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:27 AM

Flash is no longer supported we are stuck on 11 but we still get security updates.

That's true, if one runs Firefox or Seamonkey in their Linux. 

If one runs Google Chrome, be it Linux or Windows, one always has the latest Flash built into the browser. One reason why a few Linux versions has Chromium (open source version of Google Chrome) as their default browser. Most extensions that works with Google Chrome does on Linux versions, and any profiles created on Windows will roll over to Linux, just sign into the browser. That also works with Firefox & some rebranded Linux versions of the browser, though Firefox Sync is a lot slower than that of Google, regardless of the OS. 

And to answer Stolen's question, browsing is no different on Linux, though even faster due to less overhead, there's just no IE. That may be a good thing, though there are now adblocking options with IE, the same Adblock Plus that's modified, and Web of Trust (WOT) is also available, but they have to be downloaded from IE. Though one has to disable Enhanced Protection Mode for these extensions, actually it's an automatic process. 

What I don't like is the few times when I do have to open IE to get software for Windows, every time it's opened, in essence, it's asking one to disable extensions to speed up the browser. If I was concerned about speed, would certainly not be using IE, and am glad that MS years ago seen the light & quit delivering updates through the browser. I have been tempted to disable IE through the "Turn Windows features on or off", but got a warning every time that certain services may not work. 

Other than possibly Mail, what wouldn't work if IE were disabled? Every time I run Windows, even though normally never use IE, there's a moderate amount of files from the browser to be deleted from that session, as running CCleaner is the next to last thing I run before shutting down. A quick scan with SuperAntiSpyware is the last, to clean the normal places where ad/tracking cookies hides. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users