Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Get REFUND and BUILD a computer with $400??

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:47 AM

Hey guys, thanks in advance for taking the time to read this post. I know a lot of you by now and you are all incredibly nice and smart! THAT, my fine sirs, is why I come here to ask these questions :)

Ok I'm gonna make a long crazy story super short... I had a decent custom system, bought a graphics card, broke CPU (Long sad story), graphics card get's sent back and I get a new computer for close to $400. Let me start by showing you the specs thus far...

My now old decent system:
Windows 7 64-bit
6GB of ram (I was going to ask for an upgrade to 8GB until I thought about the card)
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940 3Ghz  (Socket AM2+) (Now broken a replaced with an old Phenom)
MB: MSI model: MS-7374 nForce 750a SLI (I'm actually not sure, but I think I might be PCI Express 16x)
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6850
Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 RX-550
Note: After just recently tinkering around with this system, I can't get it to start for longer than 2 seconds no matter what I try. So something other than the cpu could now be broken and not used if I build a computer. Hopefully not though!

My New Merry Christmas system:
The CyperpowerPC Gamer Ultra 2204 (GU2204) (Click for specs)

So the plan was to take my GPU, the HD 6850, and put it in this new computer. It's not going to fit. Actually any upgrading whatsoever looks to be near impossible. I also notice it didn't come with slots for a dvd-rom or anything. So after using this machine I see a guy online in a similar situation and someone shows him a link to a list of great looking parts and the idea of building it himself. Check out this link and you'll see the guy ANSWERING the question posts two examples of computers. The first one being withing my $400 budget. I can't go over that at all really. So here I am asking you guys for your opinion. Should I go that rout? Have any suggestions? There are a few things I/we/you must take into consideration..
1. I haven't built a computer in 10 years. (Think there are videos that help though)
2. I should consider using any parts from my custom pc to drive the price down. (Positive thought there)
My case for example could be used, but I HATE it. It's the CyberPower Gaming Development case with a front door etc. I can get a link for it later, I gotta get to bed. Oh all the fans would need to be replaced too. How about my PSU though? I have a drd-writer and rom so I don't need those.
3. I JUST found my old copy if Windows 7 I bought for my old computer! So that saves $100 right there! :)
4. Keeping in mind that the graphics card is really important to me
5. And as I said, budget max. of $400.

Alrighty, so there ya have it Gents! What is the smart play here? I wont be running into any extra money unfortunately because of health issues. So I have to make due with what I choose. I'd also have to be careful building this thing (If it's even financially possible). I'm probably forgetting to put a lot more of things here but I must get SOME sleep tonight. So I'll sign off now. I want to thank you in advance for any ideas or help. You guys rock!

Colin

Edited by Slave2Society7, 30 December 2014 - 12:54 PM.

Willyoupleasehelpmefixmykeyboard?Thespacebarisbroken!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:34 PM

I was going to try and pick some parts myself, but I just don't understand some important things. Like how a CPU like this, AMD A4-6300 can be less than $40 when so many others not as good cost more money. I Also don't understand why on earth in the specs it says "Integrated Graphics Radeon HD 8370D", under specs when this is just a CPU. I'm trying to use PcPartPicker, but let's face it, I'll get ripped off or buy incompatible things with my luck? Can anyone please elaborate on this? Thanks as always:)

Colin

#3 ssgtjeffward

ssgtjeffward

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2014 - 09:31 AM

Golly that is a lot of information there. I can answer one question about the CPU for you. I believe the CPU you show can come in at this price point because it is a OEM CPU meaning that it does not come with a fan or warranty. This is the way to go if you are competent builder but, there's always a but, you will need to provide a fan and these can cost more than the CPU. The integrated graphics come into play when you do not plan on using a graphics card. It looks like you have a graphics card. 

Before I suggest you build a system I would be curious as to how your old CPU was damaged. As far as using the old power supply you may not be able to interface an old power supply to the newer boards. I would also be curious if your graphics card needs a power supply connection?

Before going further I would be interested in the symptoms on why your system does not stay up for longer than two seconds. Maybe that could be fixed before spending more money. Try asking just that question in the forums.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 31 December 2014 - 05:55 PM

The AMD A4-6300 at Newegg is a boxed processor (APU) with a cooling solution and warranty.  This processor should only be used in basic PC's for simple tasks, not gaming or anything that could really stress it. 

You can use PCPartPicker, but it isn't a substitute for doing a little research and you may find better deals, incentives, or customer service by using only one or two retailers they suggest.  I've used Newegg and Amazon extensively, returns are easy and customer service is generally good.  TigerDirect is alright, but I'm not a fan of their customer service.  I've only ever ordered from NCIX US once, everything went fine but I don't use them because their prices are usually high.

Make sure if you use that copy of Windows 7 that it is either a full, boxed retail copy or an unused OEM/System Builder copy.  Microsoft ties the license to the motherboard, if you replace that, you have a new PC and thus need to purchase a new license if you are using an OEM version.  However, the full version of Windows can be moved from one motherboard to another.

Assuming you can use that copy of Windows, the first build on Reddit will do nicely.  I would suggest getting an Asus or Gigabyte motherboard as they tend to be of higher quality.  The prices on that Reddit post have probably changed since it was first generated.

3939.png

#5 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2014 - 10:18 PM

Sorry for the late reply and thanks for your advice guys! I've actually had someone work with me yesterday. After lots of changes and explanations I'm now looking at this build http://pcpartpicker.com/p/N3WvvK From what this guy thinks he said my Thermaltake TR2 RX-550 PSU should be fine to use.

ssgtjeffward, the cpu was broken because I was checking it out due to high temperatures. What happened was the heatsink was stuck to the CPU so bad that I had to jerk the whole thing out. It could have maybe been salvaged at that point, but I foolishly tried to force it back in and bent a tun of pins:( I've had this computer for so long now that I need an upgrade even if it's not a major one. I still want to find out why the computer wont stay on for more than two seconds though. I replaced the CPU with an older one and it worked before. I have a constant orange light on the mobo and when I hit power it flashes blue in other places then goes down. I must of messed something up... I did just find out something new though. If I hold down the power button for a while and then hit it again it tries to stay on again.. for like 10 seconds at the most though.

As far as my OEM Windows, I am screwed, I forgot that it's no good after using it once if changing your motherboard. The weird thing is that I found my windows in my brothers room because he had borrowed it to put on his computer. That was a couple of years ago though, so maybe it didn't work for him, but I'm pretty sure it did. Anyway, I think I found a workaround. Instead of buying a new Hard Drive, I can just put in the one I'm using now with windows 7 still on it and it should work that way..... unless you guys know something I don't:) That's another reason why I'd like to get this old computer running one more time... so I can format the drive and freshly install windows again before I move it to a new computer. Reason being is that it hasn't been cleaned in forever and has had hundreds of programs installed and uninstalled over the years.

As always, thanks for your time guys. Please let me know what ya think or if you have any incite on this idea. If someone could verify that my power supply would work with that build I showed you it would be a BIG relief. I don't think the PSU is THAT old really. I know I have had lots of questions and so much going on over these past weeks, I appreciate the patience. You've been a great help. DJ was helping me from day one, when I was simply ordering a new graphics card lol. Then everything went wrong... Ok ok I better let you guys go. Thanks again!!

Colin

#6 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2014 - 10:43 PM

Update: I added the closest PSU to the build I showed you I was looking at and it shows that there are no compatibility issues with any of the parts. Well except the case has a front panel USB 3 port, but the motherboard doesn't have the header for it. No biggie. Anyway here is the power supply I put in the mix as a test: The Thermaltake TR2 500W ATX, that HAS to be pretty much the same as mine,, I hope. Again, mine is the Thermaltake TR2 RX-550. So I'm thinking if one is compatible the other is most likely as well. I just need to make sure my PSU isn't my new problem though, something is wrong. I'm stressed and tired now, but when I can I'll try to work on my old machine again and see what's wrong. I think since there is a solid orange light though, the PSU is probably ok.

#7 Zach6656

Zach6656

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 07:23 PM

Just sayin that maybe linux as a secondary OS would be a good idea as it is MUCH lighter than windows and may let your pc have a little more *kick to the gaming experience i would recommend ubuntu as it is light and steam is available in its woftware center (using a 10 year old pc with 4gigs of ram now and it still boots faster than an intel i5 with 8 gigs of RAM and running windows 7)

always use DD-WRT for all your routers, if you cant get it for them, throw them away

#8 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 07:50 PM

Wow Zach, I'll have to look into that! I know I did look into it YEARS ago and couldn't figure it out or something. But I remember I didn't give it a fair chance. Thanks for that idea!

Well dudes, I went with this build (The price it shows is NOT what I payed) also I added a new power supply because mine most likely is broken. I did the paperclip test and that failed to keep the PSU fan on. :( I've had incredibly bad luck! Anyway, with the stuff shown in that build and the PSU it came to about $415. Not bad right? .... right?? :)

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,894 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 01 January 2015 - 08:00 PM

Just sayin that maybe linux as a secondary OS would be a good idea as it is MUCH lighter than windows

Yes good idea.

and may let your pc have a little more *kick to the gaming experience i would recommend ubuntu as it is light and steam is available in its woftware center

Just because a game is on Steam dont mean it will work on Linux.  You want a gaming machine stick with Windows.

Anybody using Steam on Windows Please read this post.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/556723/steam-messages-screenscr-virus-do-not-open-these/

Edited by NickAu, 01 January 2015 - 08:04 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#10 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 09:18 PM

Thanks for the warning! I hate that people make crap like that to ruin things for everyone...

#11 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2015 - 12:07 AM

First things first, you need to get the PC up and running.  Looking over that build, it should work.  I suggest going for an AMD 900 based motherboard for FX processors as that chipset is the only one that was designed for the FX CPU's and can enable all of their features.  The M5A78L-M LX PLUS has physical compatibility and can run the FX processors, but that's about it.  I would swap it out for the GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P, which is a Gigabyte budget board.  The ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 would also make a good alternate.  DDR3-1600 is also unnecessary.  If you can't get a deal on DDR3-1600, DDR3-1333 would work just as well.  Then again, if you already bought the equipment, you're stuck with what you've got.

If you're gaming, stick to Windows.  If you want to try out Linux, I found Debian a bit easier to figure out and get set up than Ubuntu.  I tried it for a while and went back to Windows since the vast majority of my games are native to it.

3939.png

#12 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2015 - 10:48 AM

Ehhh, I've already got that those parts coming in :\ I've also already returned things twice to them and it's getting pretty crazy. Thanks for the info DJ, but I think I'm screwed on that one lol. Oh well, hopefully I wont notice the difference. I have this thread bookmarked and saved so I'll have your Linux advice available too, thanks. Making this short cause my father is breathing down my neck about turning this computer off so we can ship it back. I'm gonna freak out with no computer for a week or two!! It'll be worth it though. Alright, I'll talk to ya'll soon. Either through my phone or when I get things working. Thanks again!

#13 defanged

defanged

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 06:09 AM

btw, why did you twice make assertions indicating that you are of the - erroneous - belief that everyone on this forum, perhaps all computer experts, are male?  Kinda weird.

good luck.

SETUP, as of 4/14 - Case: Corsair 900D full tower, PSU: corsair 1200 watts, MB: ASUS rampage IV extreme, GPU(s): 3 X Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 hydro copper classified in 3-way SLI , RAM: 64 GB corsair dominator platinum DDR3, CPU: i7 3970X extreme edition @ 3.5 GHz (hexacore), OD: ASUS blu-ray RW, Cooling: EK liquid system, incl. EK waterblock, EK fittings, EK pump, resevoir, coolant misc., generic tubing, Audio: Creative sound blaster Recon3D THX PCIE Fatal1ty Champion sound card, Storage: SSD/HD: 2 X 240 GB samsung SSD (OS - win 7 pro), 1 TB caviar black, 4 TB caviar blue.

#14 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 06:41 PM

Oh no! lol I was kinda iffy about my maleish words. Obviously this forum has women in it. :) I'm sorry. Are you not only a vampire but of the female sex as well, defanged? Trust me I meant no offense in any way. I quite enjoy women and having one in this thread would only make it better in my opinion. :)

Anyway, I got my computer described above put together and running in the first try..yeah!! Honestly, I hadn't done it in so many years I thought I would definitely mess up a bit. It's good so far. I have two unexpected problems though :( I thought being tricky and using my hard drive with Windows installed on it, instead of buying a new hard drive, would be fine... NOPE. Windows is not Genuine now.. MAN!! Screwed! It say's I have two days left, but I have no $$ left whatsoever so the game is over.. WINBLOWS of all things is the thing that fails me in the end :( I don't know what's going to happen in two days, but it can't be good.. I don't know if anyone is actually looking at this one anymore. If so I'll talk to ya soon ;)

Colin

Edited by Slave2Society7, 12 January 2015 - 12:27 AM.

#15 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 09:22 AM

Reusing an old Windows drive is possible, but you need to reinstall Windows due to low-level drivers.  If you reinstalled Windows and it doesn't activate over the internet, you can call Windows for activation.  If all else fails, you can try Linux.  I prefer Debian, but it will be a large learning curve.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users