Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard Help!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 eekk12

eekk12

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 11:18 PM

Hi, eekk12 here, I'm building my first computer and I need a little help. I've been to every site imaginable looking for reviews, guides, and how-to's on building a PC. However, no matter where I go, I just can't find good advice on buying a motherboard. I need your help in picking one out. Here are the specifications:

*ATX

*Hdmi port

* Uses AMD processor

*Can hold up to 16GB of RAM (# of ports does not matter)

* Has more than 2 expansion slots 

*At least 2 SATA ports

*At least 4 PCI slots

*THE BIGGEST SPEC-  Must be under $120 (brands don't matter as long as motherboard is durable

Thanks for the help, and I hope you'll be welcoming me into the tech world. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,416 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 06:54 AM

Honestly when buying a motherboard I look to find one that is compatible with the CPU I want, and then just look through what is available and what kind of reviews it has on it. If its got not so great reviews I don't buy it.

What slot type is the AMD proc that you want? FM2, FM2+....?

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 eekk12

eekk12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:48 PM

Honestly when buying a motherboard I look to find one that is compatible with the CPU I want, and then just look through what is available and what kind of reviews it has on it. If its got not so great reviews I don't buy it.

What slot type is the AMD proc that you want? FM2, FM2+....?

It's an AM3+, specifically here's the processor

*AMD FX-8320 Vishera 8-Core 3.5GHz (4.0GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Desktop Processor FD8320FRHKBOX

#4 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,416 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:54 PM

Here is a list of AM3+ motherboards from Newegg. Taking a quick look I didn't see any that had 4 PCI slots like you were requiring. Some did have 4 X16 (well 2 x16 and 2 x4) slots though.

I personally have used Asus, MSI, and Biostar boards. The Biostar was more for a budget build. ASUS and MSI make some good motherboards.

Edited by DeimosChaos, 30 December 2014 - 12:55 PM.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 31 December 2014 - 12:47 PM

That number of PCI slots will be the break point.  Dozens have two, only a few have three but I saw none with four.  The AM3+ board and processor are far beyond the $120.  The next point to make would be to find and Intel board with the slots needed and look for on-board HDMI.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 31 December 2014 - 01:19 PM

Well...you don't want a board with features that are not important for your prospective use.

I do what DeimosChaos does...determine the CPU, check out a number of boards supporting that CPU...and then I usually go for the cheapest, since I don't attempt to do anything requiring most of the features emphasized by manufacturers on a given motherboard.  Socket compatility and a review or two is all I need, I also look for some comment about the chipset.

I also tend to go on prior experience...which makes my choice of board usually between ASUS and Asrock.

Louis

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 31 December 2014 - 02:20 PM

The uses for the PCI slots maybe for peripherals that may be duplicated by the system board (sound, WIFI, firewire, etc.)  Video on-board has come a long ways and often offer up to 2 GB memory support.  So many options and solutions.

#8 eekk12

eekk12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2014 - 03:44 PM

Just wanted to say thank you to all who helped and offered advice. I finally settled with a GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX + SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard, it has almost everything I asked for, except for the HDMI port, but i'll make do. Thanks again for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users