Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router stops when laptop joins

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dumuvmee

Dumuvmee

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 08:46 PM

So my brother visited me this holidays. Everytime his laptopAttached File  DxDiagset1.txt   38.54KB   4 downloads connects to the router(AirPort Express 802.11n 1st generation) it disconnects all users. The router is unable to connect to the internet. I also cannot not view the router in Airport Utility. I have to unplug or reset it to connect. This is my first time experiencing this with any router. No other devices have ever done this.

There is one .exe that I can find no information onAttached File  WTF2.jpg   113.56KB   0 downloads.

His Minitoolbox resultAttached File  laptopResult.txt   39.3KB   5 downloads

My resultAttached File  mypcResult.txt   35.66KB   3 downloads

I could just wait for him to leave.  But I was hoping to figure this out if it happened again with some other device.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 02 January 2015 - 01:06 AM

Either the laptop drivers needs to be updated or router needs new firmware. Probably both need updated. Definitely something going wrong with the wifi knocking the radio out like that during the handshake.

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 04:39 PM

Might want to post the results of a ipconfig /all from his laptop to see if he is creating a ip conflict which will knock the router out.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 06:40 PM

Windows is pretty good at reporting stuff like that, but yes it should be investigated what IP's are in use by everything on the network. However, some hardware for whatever reason just doesn't mix to well. I have come across a couple older laptops that did similar things that just hammored the router and after a couple of days to a week the router would need a reset because the radio would not connect with anything anymore. After taking that specific laptop off the network everything worked fine for months at a time with only a few main power loss resets due to storms. If it's an older laptop XP era then it's likely a old driver that will never be resolved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users