Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

i have a question about windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ralph4

ralph4

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 08:38 PM

ok im planing to have a samsung evo ssd installed in this machine.now this pc already has windows 8.1 installed on it.

now my question is is after my pc thats going to be putting my ssd in is after he does a clean install of windows 8.1 on the ssd and he has installed everything.

is there going to be much of an issue linking my mechanical HD to the ssd because this pc will be starting on windows 8.1 and it the mechanical HD will still have an existing OS on it but what i want to do is have the pc still be able to access my files on my mechanical HD but heres the catch he won't be cloning my current OS?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ralph4

ralph4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 08:53 PM

if it helps anyone someone will installing a ssd and he will be doing a clean install of windows 8.1 on the ssd and leaving existing OS on the currently existing mechanical HD as it is and just be telling my pc to boot from the ssd so no OS files will be cloned from the mechanical HD.

#3 Lunathecat

Lunathecat

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 09:16 PM

I recently did just what you are talking about, I installed a Samsung 840 EVO SSD on my laptop. Though my system already had Windows 8.1 installed and I used Samsung Data Migration to move all the files and OS onto the SSD. Once that was completed I removed the HHD and installed the SSD in that slot and started as usual. Once I was sure that the OS was operating from the SSD I shut down my laptop and reinstalled the HHD in the second slot and restarted my laptop. I did have to boot into the BIOS in order for my laptop to recognize the HHD in it's new location. Once that was established I was able to erase the contents of the HHD and now it is used for storage.

I hope that helps to answer your questions.

#4 Houdini5150

Houdini5150

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 10:01 PM

set it to boot from your SSD first 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users