Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC slow boot = VERY low FPS, lag, etc. Forced to reboot 5-10 times to fix. Help!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Zig0n

Zig0n

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 08:12 PM

My specs:
Z97MX-Gaming 5 motherboard
Intel i5 4690k CPU
R9 280x graphics card (3GB)
8GB RAM
Corsair H80i cooler
Windows 8.1 64bit

Hopefully this is the correct section for the question. I recently built a gaming PC, and ever since I got it together, I've been experiencing constant problems. When I start up the computer for the first time of the day, it's completely unusable. If I try and run any games, they run at 15fps. Even Firefox is very sluggish. Usually, I need to reboot 5-10 times before I get a "good boot". If I restart, and get the motherboard splash screen and my USB devices light up immediately or within a few seconds, and windows loads quick, it's good, and I can run my games at 60fps, all programs run smooth, everythings great. If the BIOS splash screen takes awhile to pop up and/or Windows loads slowly, I'm forced to restart again and again and again until it loads fast, or else my programs are completely unusable. The problem also occurs if I let the computer go to sleep at any point. As soon as I wake it up, the lag is so bad I struggle to even close out of whatever program I was using. Sometimes when I reboot, the computer takes FOREVER to even get back to the BIOS splash screen. This is what I have observed, comparing how long it takes the splash screen to pop up after I power the computer on or reboot it, and how the computer acts each time:

2-3 seconds, it's perfect. Windows loads quick, games run 60+FPS on highest settings, everything runs great.
5-9 seconds, it's slow. Windows takes 3x as long to load, games run 15fps, even Firefox is laggy. Using the mouse scroll wheel causes the screen to look really choppy, like it's struggling. I also cannot watch YouTube videos, or use Google Maps. The video shows extremely choppy, and in the case of Google maps, everything takes forever to load.
10+ seconds, windows takes maybe 10x as long to load, games run at under 5fps, Firefox can barely load anything, even a word document can take awhile to open.

I have updated all of my drivers. I opened task manager to see what was going on with my CPU and memory, and it showed all was well.. Nothing out of the ordinary. I have tried everything I know, and am desperate for help. Does anyone know anything else I can try? Has anyone had a similar issue? I am open to any and all opinions. I have asked this question on other sites and nobody even seems to bother reading my thread, let alone respond. I'm getting so frustrated because I was so excited to build a PC and get into PC gaming, but now it's become a complete nightmare.

Thank you for reading!

Edited by Zig0n, 29 December 2014 - 08:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,177 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:03 PM

Welcome,

What security software is installed and is it current?

Does the information in your BIOS settings match the hardware you have installed?

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Zig0n

Zig0n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 01:25 AM

I run Avast! and Malwarebytes. Neither have detected any issues.

Yes, the BIOS settings match. I just double checked, and when I did, something happened to me that has never happened before. When I started the computer up, the usual happened, it took forever to reach the BIOS splash screen, took forever for my USB devices to light up, etc. Like I said, whenever this happens, the computer loads Windows slow, games run at 5fps, etc.. However, instead of letting it load windows and just rebooting like I usually do, I went to enter BIOS.

Here's where it gets confusing: In the BIOS setup screen, everything ran awful. If you tried to use the mouse, it would lag and jump all over the screen. Everything was really choppy and laggy. Menus loaded VERY slow, like I was living in slow motion. So, apparently, this is not just an issue within Windows. When the computer takes a long time to reach the BIOS screen, it results in everything - even the BIOS setup menu's, running excruciatingly slow. This is so confusing and frustrating!

Thank you for taking time to read my post and reply. I really appreciate it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users