Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple Restore Points Through Task Scheduler

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Need_Help_2015

Need_Help_2015

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 05:57 PM

I am running into a problem using task scheduler to make automatic restore points. First let me say I swear I have done this before. But cannot seem to get it to work now. Also, I image my hard drive every other day. A full image.

I need to have several restore points a day. I prefer to have as many as I can have. I have allocated 15% of my C drive for restore points.

I need a restore point made each time the computer starts up. It may get restarted 2, 3, 4 or more times a day depending on what’s going on. I also need regular restore points made about every 3 hours, midnight – 3am – 6am – 9am – and so forth. Also when I install and uninstall something.

I have also set my system to include more areas of my system in each restore point than normal.

Now here is the problem. It will not do it. No matter how I do it or set it up I cannot get more than one or two restore points to generate.

Someone told me that Windows 7 (what I am using) will only make one restore point per every 7 days no matter what. This is where the “I swear I have done this before” comes in.

So what gives. Is this true or must I be doing something wrong. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 06:27 PM

You do understand a restore point only concerns itself about the system settings ie. the registry/system files?  Restore points don't backup your data.

Unless you are installing software on every boot up there is no point in that many restore points.

Here is an article that should help you schedule as many as you like

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/change-how-often-system-restore-creates-restore-points-in-windows-vista/

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 07:07 PM

You can also do what you want manually with third party tools which allow creating RPs with a single click.

Alternative Tools to create System Restore Points:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Need_Help_2015

Need_Help_2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 07:57 PM

Yes I do understand that, as is why I mentioned that I do a full image every day as well. I am doing numerous things that could create an issue and restoring from an image just takes too long when a system restore could get me back working much quicker. Time is money and considering right now I need 15 hours of work time each day on this thing I cannot afford to do a restore from an image.

The article you posted is a good article. I have seen it. However, let’s say right now I have my system set to create a restore point at noon, 3pm, 6pm and at startup and when I install something. But it will only make one of these restore points ………. UNLESS, I delete all other restore points. If I delete all of my restore points then the first on scheduled will be created but non after that unless I go back in and re-delete them all again. So in your post I am assuming that by design I can create all of the restore points I want and Windows will let me. That there is no built in limit that is preventing me from doing so.

I have already followed that article you posted and it is the same as I have been doing. I am just not able to make more than one at a time. Now if I ……….. let’s say I make one today. And I install something this weekend. It will make one and then I will have two. But that is the only way I have found that it will allow more than one. Just cannot make more than one in the same day.

When I get my other machines back it will no longer be an issue. But due to a fire that destroyed my other machines I am forced to use this one machine and it has to keep going.

#5 Need_Help_2015

Need_Help_2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 09:04 PM

Global Moderator, as I know there are 3rd party options out there. I need restore points made when I am not here but I may have something sheduled to go active, software,script or whatever. To my understanding and as is my experiance in the past. When those attempt to run a restore point action since I am pointing to an external program, a UAC window will likely popup during the process if I am correct and this will kill the restore point action if I am not sitting here to give it permission.

If I am wrong then please correct my thinking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users