Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Migrating Alpha 4 database to Access, Memo Fields?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 dbtweaker

dbtweaker

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 04:06 PM

In DOS-based Alpha 4, a database I've been using for years, text fields were limited to about 250 characters, but a memo field, stored separately from the rest of the record, if I understood this, was possible with far more space.  In migrating via Excel from Alpha 4 to Access, I seem to have lost the contents of the Memo field.  Does anyone know the filename where such fields were stored, perhaps dependent on the original table name to which they apply?  I do not think there were any such files with the .dbf extension, which constitute tables typical for databases.  I imported all files with that extension, and there were only 2, the 2nd a set of "child" records related to the first.  Any hints on where to look and how to re-attach this information would be appreciated.  I'm presuming some key field in common, of course, but don't know which of the many files in the old collection of such (that orchestrated all the database functions) is the one to try to import into, perhaps first, Excel, and then into Access.  Thanks for any help offered. (One thing I'll be trying, not done yet, is to just look for large files, regardless of extension, and snoop to see if I can tell what they contain.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users