Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Partition Scheme

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 03:55 PM

As some of you know, I lost my Windows XP install.  Now I would like to re-partition.  My current goals are:

1.  To possibly keep my current install of LMM17-32bit but move it to the Beginning of the Space of my HDD.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 04:08 PM

Why do you want to move it? It doesn't hurt anything and in moving things around you can damage something. But if you really want to do this start your computer with a live disk and open gparted. Then (this will only work if your os is on the 2nd partition) delete the first partition.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,691 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 04:45 PM

Why do you want to move it? It doesn't hurt anything and in moving things around you can damage something.

I agree, All you will do is mess up your pc.

#4 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 04:56 PM

put another distro you want to test into that partition. May I recommend Linux Mint Debian Edition.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#5 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,416 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 05:52 PM

Agreed, don't try moving things around. I tried that once and it was going to take forever to finish (quite literally forever). So I stopped it and corrupted data.

Doesn't really matter the order off things, just pop whatever else you want into the blank partition.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#6 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 07:24 PM

:thumbsup2: +1 to the three gents above.

punk, why don't you whiz (should that be Wiz? :hysterical: I kill me) up for us a GParted screenshot for us to see your current space considerations, that might assist in suggestions. I am trying LMDE live currently - interesting.

:wizardball: Wiz

#7 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 07:54 PM

Doing so would result in your Mint installation not being able to boot, because GRUB2 (in the MBR) will be looking for your OS on the wrong partition. Your GRUB2 entry would need to be repaired (perhaps boot-repair run from a live-cd can help there?), I'm not sure what else would need to be done as I don't have a copy of Mint.

Anytime you do partitioning be aware that it means modifying the partition table, this makes all data on your drive vulnerable to loss if anything goes wrong so it's advisable to backup anything you'd mind losing.

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,265 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 08:10 PM

Wiz, I meant to post a screenshot doh!  Okay guys a lot of good info. thanks.  I will be re-installing because I want my test distro to be at the end, so that I can swap it out if I don't like it, good idea or not?  Here is a pic, not the one I wanted but I am in Tahrpup and could not find what I wanted.

Also, can I or should I backup LMM17-32bit, create a exact partition like this at the beginning of drive and install to new partition, to avoid all the work to get setup again? 

If I leave this install were it is, I won't be able to install something else to the beginning of this drive because that will also mess up the boot-loader won't it?

2wlvg8w.jpg

Edited by pcpunk, 29 December 2014 - 08:16 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 08:28 PM

Doing so would result in your Mint installation not being able to boot, because GRUB2 (in the MBR) will be looking for your OS on the wrong partition. Your GRUB2 entry would need to be repaired (perhaps boot-repair run from a live-cd can help there?), I'm not sure what else would need to be done as I don't have a copy of Mint.

Anytime you do partitioning be aware that it means modifying the partition table, this makes all data on your drive vulnerable to loss if anything goes wrong so it's advisable to backup anything you'd mind losing.

don't the modern grub incarnations use UUID rather than /dev/sd?? ? 

Edited by bmike1, 29 December 2014 - 08:29 PM.

#10 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 08:29 PM

If I leave this install were it is, I won't be able to install something else to the beginning of this drive because that will also mess up the boot-loader won't it?

Regardless of installing an OS to the beginning or end of the drive your bootloader will be replaced if you let it write the drive MBR. This is only potentionally problematic if you are installing an OS that doesn't use GRUB2.

#11 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 08:32 PM

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,265 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 08:40 PM

Regardless of installing an OS to the beginning or end of the drive your bootloader will be replaced if you let it write the drive MBR. This is only potentionally problematic if you are installing an OS that doesn't use GRUB2.

So I can do this, but I have no idea about "letting it write the drive MBR", will I be prompted to do so?  Perhaps the more important question is:  Can I make Bootable Rescue Media and re-install to Beginning of the drive - if I make the same exact partition scheme as I had? 

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 08:48 PM

Good point.

#14 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 09:25 PM

pcpunk..... just leave everything like it is. better yet, turn it into your home partition.

#15 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 09:27 PM

installing the home partition after the os has been set up....

http://www.howtogeek.com/116742/how-to-create-a-separate-home-partition-after-installing-ubuntu/

Edited by bmike1, 29 December 2014 - 09:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users