Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with a build

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 auraelspeth

auraelspeth

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 02:58 PM

I am looking to build a desktop with a $1000 budget. I have never done this before, but I have replaced parts (and I'm not a complete dumba**), so I think I'll be able to handle putting it together. What I need help with, though, is choosing the hardware. I've been looking around at guides, but I figured I'd ask what you guys think.

Like I said, I've got a $1000 budget. I feel weird saying I need a gaming computer, because I'm not a hardcore gamer, but every time I've upgraded my pcs it's been because of games. However, I only use one monitor and I don't overclock or anything like that. Besides gaming I use my computer for watching videos, low-end productivity (like Office and Adobe), listening to music, and storing photos and music. My ideal computer can run games like LOTR: Shadow of Mordor and TES Online with med-high settings, not be completely outdated in 2 years, and be easily upgraded for the future. Oh yeah, I've already got a monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

So what do you think?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 03:15 PM

So, anything you build is easily upgradable in the future. I used the same core components (CPU/motherboard) and upgraded things like RAM, GPU, etc, for five years. I then finally had to get a new CPU, age caught up with it.

The parts that are going to cost you the most (more than likely) are going to be the CPU and the GPU.

The first thing you want to decide is if you want to go AMD or Intel chipset. My first build was an AMD. They are slightly cheaper than the Intel chips but still have great processing power. My current build is an Intel (great chip), the only reason that I decided to get it was because I decided to give Intel a try.

I'll post later with some options (GPU and CPU) for you if you like (I currently am at work and leave in less than an hour so I do not have time to go out and find stuff for you at the moment). We can go on from there.

Edited by DeimosChaos, 29 December 2014 - 03:18 PM.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,416 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 06:53 PM

Okay. Below are some choices of CPUs.

AMD - These chips are slightly older (32nm tech), slightly more power cunsumption, but really powerful. Great bang for the buck.

Intel - These  chips are a bit more expensive than similar AMD chips. Though they have less power cunsumption due to the 22nm tech.

GPUs.

AMD GPU - The AMD GPUs caught up with nvidia in performance (at least in my opinion). They are also pretty good price point. These cards that I have linked, are the R9 series. These are some of the latest ones.

Nvidia - These Nvidia GPUs (900 series) are much much more expensive than the AMD ones, they are also some of the newest Nvidia ones. To get to the $150 price point you would need to step down to the 700 series.

If I were to build another system right now, I personally would go with the AMD CPU and the AMD GPU. They have come a long way in performance, and they are still a better bang for the buck then Intel.

Edited by DeimosChaos, 29 December 2014 - 06:54 PM.

#4 auraelspeth

auraelspeth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 05:09 PM

Okay, I've narrowed the CPU choices down to 3: Intel Core i5 4690, AMD FX 8350, or AMD A10 5800k.

The GPUs are confusing, with all the different brands and different versions within the same brand. I'm thinking about the Radeon R9 280 or 280x, but I don't know between Sapphire or XFX.

Edited by auraelspeth, 30 December 2014 - 05:44 PM.

#5 auraelspeth

auraelspeth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 06:10 PM

I've been looking at a few build guides, just gonna copy and paste them here.

1st one:

(1) Processor: 
Intel Core i5-4690K ($220)
(2) Motherboard: 

Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H ($119)
(3) Video Card: 

XFX Radeon R9 280 3GB ($200)
(4) Memory: 

Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x4GB ($75)
(5) Solid-State Drive: 

Crucial MX100 256GB ($110)
(6) Hard Drive: 

Western Digital 1TB ($55)
(7) Case: 

Corsair Carbide 200R ($60)
(8) Power Supply: 

Corsair CX500 ($55)
(9) Optical Drive: 

Samsung 24x DVD Burner ($20)
(10) Operating System:

Windows 8.1 ($92)

2nd one:

CPUIntel Core i5-4690K

FANCM Hyper 212 EVO

MOBOMSI Z97 PC MATE LGA 1150

GPUGigabyte GeForce GTX 970

RAMKingston HyperX Fury 8GB

HDDWestern Digital Blue 1 TB

CASECorsair Graphite 230T

PSUXFX Core Edition PRO550W

ODDSamsung 24x SATA

I feel like I had another one, but I can't find it now.

#6 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,416 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:51 PM

Okay, I've narrowed the CPU choices down to 3: Intel Core i5 4690, AMD FX 8350, or AMD A10 5800k.

The GPUs are confusing, with all the different brands and different versions within the same brand. I'm thinking about the Radeon R9 280 or 280x, but I don't know between Sapphire or XFX.

If the GPU has the same name (like R9 280 for instance) they are about the same even from different manufactures. Its just that some manufactures are more reliable than others. I would go the XFX way for the GPU you want.

For the CPU I would choose between the Intel  4690 or the AMD 8350. I would personally lean more towards the AMD one. Its cheaper and a monster. Though it does take a considerable more amount of power to run it (125W compared to 85W).

#7 auraelspeth

auraelspeth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2014 - 08:14 AM

I've picked the CPU, GPU, and motherboard. CPU is AMD FX-8350, GPU is XFX Radeon R9 280X Black Edition, motherboard is Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3. Good so far?

#8 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,416 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2014 - 10:58 AM

Yup good choices so far.

The next step would be memory. The board you want to get supports these options - DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1866/1600/1333/1066

You can also pick a PSU as well. Here is a power supply calculator that can help you determine how much wattage you will need. Your system would probably do with 600 watts or so. I would probably go with a 750 watt PSU. The more headroom a PSU has and the longer it can last. If its not hitting near peak wattage while doing heavy computing it doesn't wear on it as much. More wattage also allows for expansion in the future. Also, don't buy a cheap one. The cheap ones are made out of cheap parts and you don't want your system powered by a cheap PSU. A 750 watt one will probably run you $80+.

The last steps will be storage and a case. The card you have chosen is pretty big, so I would opt for full size ATX case. How much storage you want is up to you, I would go with Western Digital drives though.

#9 auraelspeth

auraelspeth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2014 - 04:25 PM

Here's what I have:

CPU AMD FX-8350 $169.95  CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO $36.75 * Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 $123.99  * Memory Crucial 8GB $72.99 Storage Western Digital 1TB 7200RPM $56.85 * Video Card XFX Radeon R9 280X $249.99 * Case Corsair Graphite Series 230T Black $74.99 Power Supply Corsair 750W $79.99 * Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS $18.75 Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) $92.99 Subtotal: $977.24  Combo Discounts: $6.99 * Mail-In Rebates: $73.00 Total: $897.25
Estimated Wattage: 484W

Don't know if I need the cooler or not, just threw it in to check the price. Seeing as the estimated wattage is only 484,do I really need a 750w psu? Couldn't I go to a 600?

#10 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,416 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2014 - 05:00 PM

Yeah you could go with a 600 watt. If the price isn't too much difference I would stick with the 750 one though.

The cooler you don't really need, the CPU comes with one. The aftermarket ones can be a absolute pain to deal with also. So if you don't have a whole lot of PC building experience I would stick with the cooler that comes with the CPU.

That all looks like some good choices to me!

#11 auraelspeth

auraelspeth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2014 - 05:22 PM

Okay, so I ditched the cooler and checked the prices on 600w - they aren't any cheaper so I'll stick with the 750w. My only other question is about sound cards: I haven't see them on any of the builds I've checked. Do I need one or is it unnecessary nowadays? That may be a really stupid question, but I'd rather ask than not know.

#12 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,416 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 12:40 AM

Okay, so I ditched the cooler and checked the prices on 600w - they aren't any cheaper so I'll stick with the 750w. My only other question is about sound cards: I haven't see them on any of the builds I've checked. Do I need one or is it unnecessary nowadays? That may be a really stupid question, but I'd rather ask than not know.

Nah not stupid at all. You don't really need a sound card as the motherboard will have a decent enough one built into it. You could always add one later if you are wanting something of better quality. I've personally never gotten a sound card for my builds. Just use the standard built in one.

#13 auraelspeth

auraelspeth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 01:40 PM

DeimosChaos thank you so much for all of your help! I could not have figured it all out without you. If I have any problems with the build or getting it up and running I'll definitely come back to you for help. I can't wait to build my first computer!

Edited by auraelspeth, 02 January 2015 - 01:41 PM.

#14 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,416 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 02:58 PM

My pleasure!

Absolutely, do not hesitate to post if you have any problems. I'll be glad to help out, and if I don't know the answer there are plenty of people around that do!

Good luck with everything, and have fun!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users