Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BOSS issues after reformat

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Interior Crocogator

Interior Crocogator

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 02:37 PM

I recently reformatted my Toshiba Qosmio X775-Q7380 with the Windows 8 installation CD. When choosing which partition to reformat, there was also an HDD recovery partition that I chose to leave alone as I wasn't sure if that would cause issues. Once Windows 8 finished installing, I then proceeded to download/install the Windows Updates that were available. I then updated to Windows 8.1 and, upon completion of that installion and reboot, have since been getting the SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED (athbwx.sys) blue screens. I tried reformatting again, still leaving alone the HDD recovery partition, and still the same resulting BSOD upon updating to Windows 8.1.

The only way I can keep from getting the BSOD is to disable my wireless. As soon as I can get access to a Ethernet cable, I will post the minidump files and any other system specs needed.

Edit: it is worth noting that I had similar issues prior to reformatting, with both the Qualcomm Atheros and nVidia GeForce drivers. I became tired of trying to solve the issues myself (and had read that similar issues could have been due to a virus of some sort) so I thought reformatting would solve things.

Edited by Interior Crocogator, 29 December 2014 - 02:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 03:11 PM

This seems to be a common problem with 8.1 and Atheros. What is the Atheros chip number in Device Manager. Can you also provide the Vendor and Device ID. Right click the wireless adapter in Device Manager and select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware ID's. Copy and Paste the first line in your next post.

#3 Interior Crocogator

Interior Crocogator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 05:36 PM

Qualcomm Atheros AR9002WB-1NG

I do not yet have access to a ethernet cable, so I can't copy/paste the first line under Hardware IDs. But here it is typed out (I triple checked it for accuracy):
PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_002B&SUBSYS_7173144F&REV_01

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,923 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 05:59 PM

I went to the Toshiba support site and a Atheros driver for your laptop is not even listed for 8.1.

I would recommend you create a restore point first. You can download the latest driver here. When you click on the download button it will take a bit before the download begins. The file name is

win81-10.0.0.298-whql.zip  I looked in the inf file and your Device and Vendor ID are present. Hope it works for you.

Unzip the file and put the folder on the desktop. The files you need for 64bit will be

athwbx.cat

athwbx.inf

athwbx.sys

The others can be deleted. Those are for 32bit. You will need to update the driver through Device Manager. Say you have a disk and then point it to the inf file in the folder.

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 December 2014 - 06:00 PM.

#5 Interior Crocogator

Interior Crocogator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 11:44 AM

Thank you, that appears to have worked as I can now use the internet normally.

Do you know if there is also an issue with nVidia drivers and Windows 8.1? When I tried using Windows Update to install an nVidia graphics driver, I kept getting the Windows Error 80070003. I then went to the Toshiba support website and downloaded both the drivers that were listed as compatible with Windows 8.1: Versions 9.18.13.2765 and 9.18.13.2660. When I tried to install the newer version, 3.2765, I got a BSOD during the installation stating IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. I then tried installing the 3.2660 version, which installed successfully and appears to be working (so far).

Not sure if you require the same information as with the Atheros driver, but here it is just in case: the adapter is an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M and the hardware ID is PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1251&SUBSYS_FC011179&REV_A1

Thanks!

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,923 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 11:57 AM

I avoid any drivers from Windows update. You first need to uninstall the Nvidia graphics driver in Remove Programs if you currently have one installed.

Your Device ID lists it as a Nvidia Geforce GTX 560m

Here is the driver for 8.1 64bit.

Edit: If your graphics driver is working okay, I would leave it.

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 December 2014 - 11:59 AM.

#7 Interior Crocogator

Interior Crocogator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2014 - 10:40 AM

I created a system restore point prior to trying any of this.

Uninstalled the graphics driver that was working properly and installed the new one in the link you provided, which resulted in various blue screens. I tried multiple different variations of the install, which all resulted in blue screens, so I just system restored to the 3.2660 version. Played multiple games last night and everything appears to be running smoothly.

Thank you for your help!

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,923 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2014 - 10:46 AM

Sorry that the latest driver did not work but it goes to show that sometimes the latest is not always the best. My take on drivers is if it aint broke don't fix it. Glad you got the old driver to work and thanks for the update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users