Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Battery problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sarkar

sarkar

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:00 PM

I have a lenovo Ideapad Z560 laptop running Windows 7 Ultimate. From today morning I am getting a red cross over battery icon in task bar. Clicking on battery icon shows a notification which says "There is a problem with your battery,so your computer might shut down suddenly. Consider replacing battery". I bought it in Sept 2010. So I think I need to replace the battery with a new one.

But if I don't replace the battery immediately(I am planing to buy a new battery after few months) and continue to use the laptop by connecting it to AC main will there be any problem ?  Will it cause any harm to my system ? 

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:06 PM

It should not cause any harm to your system to use it with the battery failing. If the power is disconnected, you may lose power suddenly and possibly lose anything you are working on so save frequently. Sometimes a bad battery might cause a computer to fail to power on, this mostly happened with Compaq and HP machines. You can remove the battery and just run off the power adapter in most cases.

When replacing a battery: I ONLY recommend replacing with a genuine brand name battery, I have had nearly no luck with generic cheap batteries. For certain go to a store and try the battery out if you go the generic route.

Batteries typically last 1-3 years. 3 years is more than expected. I would say you are due for a new battery. Best of luck.

Edited by zingo156, 29 December 2014 - 12:07 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users