Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Memory

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 11:39 AM

A Question about installing memory,I have a Dell 530S desktop from 2007 with Vista.

I am toying with this so I can give it to my grandson.I installed a new hard drive and

installed Windows7.There are 2 memory slots which have a total of 1gig.memory.

I went to the Dell website and I can install 2-2gig.memory cards.So,here is my question,I have never done this before,is it just a matter of removing 2 and replacing it with the 2 new ones or do I have to do anything else.Thank-you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 11:47 AM

Unplug the computer from the wall first and then simply remove the old ram and insert the new. They only fit one way but still be careful and make sure you align them correctly before forcing them in. Generally it does take a fair bit of force to get them installed. There are locking mechanisms on most ram slots, you push down and out on them to remove the ram, leave them in the open position when installing the new ram, then lock them completely after installing the new ram.

If you need help, youtube has videos on replaceing, removing, ram etc.

Edited by zingo156, 29 December 2014 - 12:36 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 11:52 AM

It's just that - replacing your old RAM with your new ones.

Unless some trouble arises and need troubleshooting, that is all what you need to do sir.

Here is a good write-up on replacing RAM, if you need more information.

#4 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:33 PM

Thanks for the help folks,sounds sort of easy.Will give it a try and see what happens.Thanks again.

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2014 - 02:06 PM

Just installed a 16GB set less than an hour ago myself, was very close to having to removing the GPU for room to release the lever, but all turned out good. 5 minute job. 

I was a little queasy the first time installing RAM back in 2002/03 from 256MB to 2GB (a huge deal & upgrade at the time), but it went w/out a hitch. Have installed more sets than I can count since. The more one performs this task, the more it becomes easier. 

One thing to always remember, and those who are experienced may forget (or take for granted) over time, is to be sure not to touch the gold plated pins, and be sure to touch a metal part of the case to prevent static discharge, which can damage any component connected to the motherboard. Also, do not perform this procedure on carpet, the chance of static buildup is much greater. 

Lastly, if there is doubt, ask before performing if needed, there's always someone here who's seen most any situation & can advise. Like my install today, was very close to having to remove the GPU to complete the job. There are times when other components or wires needs to be removed for access, for first timers, take pictures of before removal/disconnection of anything, this has proven to be helpful several times for me. 

Sometimes, it's not the ideal 5 minute job that we hope for. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users