Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Proxy Settings are Preventing me from Using Internet Explorer - How to Remove?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MarcusFenix

MarcusFenix

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 07:01 AM

Last week, I downloaded a game but it put several other "programs" on my computer which were a real pain. Using Malwarebytes, I removed the programs and my computer is now pretty much back to normal.

However, something else that found its way onto my computer are proxy settings for each browser, basically preventing me from accessing the Internet. With Firefox, this wasn't too much of a problem because I just un-checked the Proxy settings and I can now use it again (I am using Firefox to type this thread).

However, unchecking the proxy settings makes absolutely no difference with Internet Explorer because it just "checks" iself again straight away. So I go to Internet Options --> Connections --> LAN settings --> uncheck proxy server and then click "OK".

Then as soon as I go back to LAN settings, proxy server is checked again. It is an endless loop that cannot be solved simply by unchecking the proxy server box. There is something more sinister at play here.

Anyone know how I can go about finding out the cause of this problem and rectifying it?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 11:43 PM

Hello MarcusFenix -

So I go to Internet Options --> Connections --> LAN settings --> uncheck proxy server and then click "OK".

Do you complete this by ticking the Top Left Box (Automatically Detect Settings) then click APPLY and then OK > OK to exit the area ??

If you just untick the Proxy and click OK it will not APPLY or stay unticked.

Just an observation on the way you have written it.

If you think it is Malware related, we can also look at that ..........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users