Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Jack in the wall loose. Problems with internet?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bigbrown411

bigbrown411

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 02:23 AM

Please try to bear with me, as I'm horrible with computer/technology terminology. The jack that's in the wall in my college dorm is very loose. By jack, I mean the thing that I use to connect to cable and internet using an ethernet connection. I contacted the RA on campus about this and they had some people from RESNet to see the problem. They used a device to check to see if the internet was up and running, and they said it is, but I'm still not convinced because the jack is VERY loose. I'm able to access the internet fine and it doesn't seem that the internet speed is slowed down at all, but I'm still worried. The primary reason I'm worried is because I downloaded some files through this ethernet connection (just video/picture/music files) and I'm worried that when I back them up onto my external hard drive, they might corrupt the other files on my external hard drive or something. Is this a real problem/issue or am I just crazy?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 02:48 AM

Unless you downloaded a file infector malware (which is one of the most common causes for corrupted files) then I think you should be fine - since if the file you downloaded was corrupted in the first place then it can't really "spread" the corruption to other files.

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,703 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 02:56 AM

a loose jack would not have any bearing on whether a file gets infected or not. All it might do is to create a faulty internet connection and thus possibly corrupt the download of a file in which case it wouldn't open properly. Such would not affect any other files, just that file or the specific files in question.

Also, please note that I have merged two of your topics together as they address the same issue - your worries of corrupted or possibly infected files that you want to back up. Please do not confuse things by posting multiple topics on the same issue. Your merged topic is here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/561342/downloaded-files-on-outdated-safari-problem/

~ OB :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,731 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 03:18 AM

The jack that's in the wall in my college dorm is very loose.

Get one of the engineering students to fix it by tightening the screws that hold it, Or report it to the maintenance section and they will fix it.

a loose jack would not have any bearing on whether a file gets infected or not. All it might do is to create a faulty internet connection and thus possibly corrupt the download of a file in which case it wouldn't open properly. Such would not affect any other files, just that file or the specific files in question.

I agree with OB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users