Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ZookaWare.com: Real or fake??

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 ABJ

ABJ

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 02:01 AM

Hi all,

Sorry if this topic has been posted already but......

Is this ZookaWare thingy real or fake???

ZookaWare is a self-claimed security software vendor that makes such things as SpyZooka (which they claim is better than Spybot S&D!!!) and SpeedZooka (their PC Optimizer Pro counter-part???) RegZooka, etc, etc.

I only recently encountered them, and they look VERY genuine (though I'm still suspicious), even going to the extent of posting articles about malware infections. I have never heard of them before, and am as of yet suspicious but have not been able to figure out their authencity due MURDEROUSLY varying opinions from a Google search, and although I do have a strong feeling these people are s.c.a.m.m.e.rs, I want to know for sure on what side they fall from a trusty BC-er.

(Er..........and it goes without saying that some people who believe they are scammers also say Zooka monitors famous computer forums and then jump in...........)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ABJ

ABJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 02:10 AM

http://www.scamadviser.com/is-zookaware.com-a-fake-site.html

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6122_102-541753/regzooka-fraud/

https://safeweb.norton.com/report/show_mobile?name=zookaware.com

#3 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 02:41 AM

1) ZookaWare has a very poor reputation on Web of Trust - I'd say it's a scam.

If you need a good antispyware program, my suggestion will be Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM). SuperANTISpyware is also a good option.

2) The following warning is quoted from Moderator Budapest.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:
  • Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".
    Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.
  • 3)

(Er..........and it goes without saying that some people who believe they are scammers also say Zooka monitors famous computer forums and then jump in...........)

We have seen cases of malware authors and scammers posting here - the BC staff is willing to provide assistance should that arise.

Edited by Alexstrasza, 29 December 2014 - 03:30 AM.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 02:54 AM

The software will " scan " your PC for errors then try to sell you products that may be useless at best and may even damage your operating system. And yes you get to pay for the privilege, Stay away from it.

and SpeedZooka (their PC Optimizer Pro counter-part???) RegZooka, etc, etc.

$29.95

Please pay close attention to what Alexstrasza said.

Edited by NickAu, 29 December 2014 - 02:55 AM.

#5 ABJ

ABJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 03:54 AM

Thanks for the replies. It was Norton Safe Web that confused me. (Maybe I don't really know what I'm talking about???) but anyways thanks :). I haven't EVER thought to touch ANY of their software EVER.

P.S. Some information I forgot to tell in the starter......Zooka"Scam"Ware claims to be "award winning" and says they have "served" us for five fake years and also claims (WARNING!!! VERY AUDACIOUS!!!) the leader of the industry!!! Even comparing themselves to and belittling famous solutions such as Spybot Search&Destroy, AVG, Avast!!, and many other well known toppers!!!!! HOW AUDACIOUS!!!! :(  :radioactive:   :hysterical:   

Edited by ABJ, 29 December 2014 - 03:56 AM.

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,696 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 04:00 AM

If you want to see something funny?

This thing is rubbish, Yet the TV ad’s make it seem genuine.

http://youtu.be/558xzKP4rvk

Edited by NickAu, 29 December 2014 - 04:05 AM.

#7 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 04:44 AM

Thanks for the replies. It was Norton Safe Web that confused me. (Maybe I don't really know what I'm talking about???) but anyways thanks :). I haven't EVER thought to touch ANY of their software EVER.
P.S. Some information I forgot to tell in the starter......Zooka"Scam"Ware claims to be "award winning" and says they have "served" us for five fake years and also claims (WARNING!!! VERY AUDACIOUS!!!) the leader of the industry!!! Even comparing themselves to and belittling famous solutions such as Spybot Search&Destroy, AVG, Avast!!, and many other well known toppers!!!!! HOW AUDACIOUS!!!! :(  :radioactive:   :hysterical: 

People claim that all the time...

As skeptics in the field of medicine like to say, *citation needed* - you need proof that something works to know that it works.

If you want to see something funny?

This thing is rubbish, Yet the TV ad’s make it seem genuine.
http://youtu.be/558xzKP4rvk

Generally I don't trust ads - and definitely not YouTube ads :hysterical:

By the way, I think the ZookaWare people tried to manipulate their Web of Trust ratings by creating a bunch of sock puppets and rated the company's web page up. Doesn't change a thing though - its official rating is still red.

Edited by Alexstrasza, 29 December 2014 - 04:57 AM.

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,696 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 05:05 AM

Alex these are actual TV ad's in the USA and I have seen them on TV in Australia.

#9 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 05:11 AM

Alex these are actual TV ad's in the USA and I have seen them on TV in Australia.

Really?

These make the quack ads in my home country seems legit by comparison.

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,696 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 05:17 AM

See more here.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/523305/pc-matic-whats-the-good-or-bad-word/

#11 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 05:21 AM

Spyzooka IMO is a rouge av but rougeamp has reviewed this in his pup/adware video and claims it to be adware you should really check out that vid

they call me te java mayster

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 07:04 AM

...It was Norton Safe Web that confused me...

Many site rating vendors use a system of volunteer testers that continually patrol the Internet to browse sites, download files, and enter information on sign-up forms. All the results are documented and supplemented with feedback from users, Web site owners, and analysis from their own employees. The advising site vendor then summarizes the results sometimes into a color-coded red, yellow and green ratings scale to help inform Web users as to the safety of each tested site. While these tools are useful, they are not foolproof and sometimes may provide misleading ratings. Just because you visit a risky site does not automatically mean the site is bad or that your system has been infected by going there. Thus, the use of such rating sites does not always guarantee an accurate rating of the results they provide.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#13 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 07 June 2017 - 03:00 AM

FIrst I've heard of them, and I spent about 3 years researching legit AV tools as a hobby....

The Youtube video of one of Zooka's scanners *appeared* identical to assorted rogue AVs I've looked at in the past, but, appearances do not mean much....

Guess the determining factor will be rather or not the software actually works against real malware, both detection and potential cleaning....or rather it finds mysterious things that need 'fixing' (for additional charges , of course!), even on a clean system....

(Alas, it is possible the best time to research a product is prior to purchase/install....) :)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,119 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:02 AM

I do not put much credence in YouTube videos unless they are from a trusted source.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#15 badtoad

badtoad

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:36 AM

Research everything and if you want real performance install an SSD.Rogueamp has lost his marbles lately! Sorry I could not resist.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users