Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dissappearing hard drive space

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lcolson91

lcolson91

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:44 AM

I have an interesting issue that I pray SOMEONE here can help me with.  About two weeks ago, I noticed that I have been randomly losing hard drive space on my C:\ drive on my desktop PC.  How much space I lose varies, sometimes 2 or 3 GB over the course of several hours, sometimes 10 GB in 10 minutes.  I have tried everything I can personally think of to fix this or figure it out besides reformat and reinstall, including full scan with malwarbytes, quick scan with avast, scan with TDSSkiller, chkdsk, fiddling with and replacing the SATA cable, disc cleanup, and even disk defragment (which made me lose 15 GB for some reason.)  I have gone down from having around 130 GB space remaining of 450 GB usable, to now only having 48 GB left, and have no clue if I will continue to lose space.  I currently have the machine off and unplugged and am just using my laptop till I can have someone look at it.  Strangest thing is, I downloaded windirstat and scanned the drive with it, and it says I am only using 246 GB, and says nothing about the missing 200 GB.  If anyone knows what's going on here (and has a solution besides reformat and reinstall), please let me know soon.

Edited by hamluis, 29 December 2014 - 09:02 AM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 n2fc

n2fc

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 01:17 AM

This MIGHT be the "poweliks" virus...

This virus hides in the registry, so is NOT picked up by normal AV file scans...

It slowly fills up the temp folder with junk, so is a candidate for your symptom...

See this article here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-poweliks-trojan

...to check on whether this is applicable... If not, let us know and I am sure we'll eventually find the cause!

Edited by n2fc, 29 December 2014 - 01:27 AM.

#3 lcolson91

lcolson91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 01:31 AM

thanks for the reply, wasn't expecting anything this soon, am going to try this later today, preferably after the sun has come up.  I doubt this is what I got, but I'll check anyway as I would really love to be able to get back on my desktop without worrying about it completely failing....really miss my PC games

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:21 PM

These are typical symptoms of Poweliks...

When executed, Poweliks typically affects the ability to browse or download files using Internet Explorer and causes PowerShell error alerts. Task Manager typically shows numerous occurrences of (COM Surrogate) dllhost.exe or dllhst3g.exe. If using a 64-bit version of Windows, then these entries will be listed as dllhost.exe *32 or dllhst3g.exe *32. These processes are known to spawn and consume a large amount of system resources as described here. When attempting to download files in Internet Explorer you may receive the message "Your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded." or you may see a pop-up alert advising that "powershell (powershell.exe) has stopped working".

What is Poweliks?

Tools to investigate what folders/files are taking up space on a hard drive

Some of the tools allow you drill down into specific subfolders in order to see exactly what is going on. Most are available for download as stand-alone applications which you can just unzip, use and delete when done if you do not want to keep them. I personally like the first four but generally use TreeSizeFree the most because it allows you to click and drill down very easily. Everything Search (and Agent Ransack) are more of an alternative to Windows built-in search feature but they too allow you to gather folder/file size information.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 lcolson91

lcolson91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:42 PM

Just tried the esetpoweliks cleaner, it didn't find anything.  Anything else in particular I should try?

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 01:00 PM

I just provided suggestions for you to investigate your disk space.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users