Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this motherboard/power supply TOAST???

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 skyfly1715

skyfly1715

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 28 December 2014 - 11:12 PM

Building a new computer I hooked up the connections wrong from the power supply to the motherboard cpu "power". When I turned it on it smoked from both ends, and I quickly shut it off. I was able to remove the capble from the power supply with no problem. It didn't melt to the inside. The motherboard however did melt to the inside. Well just one of the six pin connectors. But none the less you can see form the picture it's all messed up.

Question

1. Can this be fixed?

2. Even if fixed would the motherboard be any good?

3. Do you think the power supply is good, since the cable didn't melt to the inside and was able to be removed.

I've already bought another board and power supply and the computer is done. Just wondering if these other pieces are salvagable.

Thank you

Skyfly.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 08:54 AM

There is only one way to find out if the board is toast, that is to try it with a known good psu and plug it in correctly. It might still work. Smoke generally means certain death for electronics but I have seen a few boards survive similar mishaps.

You can test a psu with a multimeter:

Edited by zingo156, 29 December 2014 - 08:55 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users