Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB not working for Acer Aspire 5100

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 mrallyn

mrallyn

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 28 December 2014 - 10:50 PM

Good Evening everyone.  My usb ports are not working. When I plug any flashdrive or my phone in to any of the ports, an error message comes up – “USB device is not recognized.”  I went to Microsoft website and ran the hardware and devices troubleshooter “Fixit” and it did not fix the problem.  Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 08:21 AM

Visually inspect all of the USB ports for damaged or bent pins. If a single port is shorting out it can cause an issue. Any usb device plugged into a computer can cause an issue, this includes the built in keyboard, touchpad, and webcam. If you find any damaged USB ports or shorting pins, you can try to bend them so they are not touching anything.

If you see no obvious damage, you might consider booting to Linux, something like Mint to test your USB ports there: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

If USB devices work in linux, then you have a software issue, if they do not work in linux, then most likely this is hardware related.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 mrallyn

mrallyn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 02:54 PM

Thank you Zingo for your help. I checked the ports and there is no visible damage. I am not sure what you mean by booting to Linux. I went to the link to download but there are several link mirrors. I am not sure what I am to do. Can you please explain?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,627 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 01 January 2015 - 03:28 PM

Linux Mint is nice. You can also go for a smaller download of Puppy. V5.2.8 is compatible with a lot of hardware. Download the iso file and burn it to disk in Windows 7 by right clicking the iso file and selecting Burn Disk Image. Boot the disk to the Puppy Desktop. Attach a USB key. A USB icon will appear next to your CD Rom icon in the lower left of the desktop and a File Manager will open showing the contents of your USB flash drive. If Puppy can mount your USB flash drive then something is wrong with Windows. Good Luck and Happy New Year.

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 03:44 PM

All of those mirrors host the actual file, you can get it from any of them but a mirror close to your location will likely be the fastest. It is around 1.2gb for the newest version of 32 bit linux mint. You can use 32 or 64, just chose one, download it, burn it to a dvd and then set the computer to boot from cd/dvd device. Puppy linux is smaller so you could use that if you wish.

Edited by zingo156, 01 January 2015 - 03:44 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 mrallyn

mrallyn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:53 PM

Thanks again. I downloaded both LINUXMint (lupu-528.005.iso) and Puppy (jre-8u25-windows-i586.com.76akf30) and I cannot open to save.  I re downloaded and save them on my desktop but I can’t burn them. 

1) When I click the LINUXMint file that is saved on my desktop, here’s what happens: “Windows can’t open this file: lupu-528.005.iso. To open this file, Windows needs to know what program you want to use to open it. Windows can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select from a list of programs that are installed on your computer.  What do you want to do?”

2) The Puppy saved as an explorer link and when I click it, my download list opens. I then click open and a windows explorer opens and quickly closes.

I can’t burn either download. Any ideas?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,627 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:01 PM

If you have Windows 7 right click the iso file and select Burn disk Image. If you do not have Windows 7 you can burn an iso file with isoburner.

BurnIso.jpg

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:02 PM

You might have to download an iso burner, go to: https://ninite.com/ then put a check in the ImgBurn under utilities, then click the green button that says "get installer", then run the installer, that will install imgburn and you should be able to use that software to burn one of those images or ISO files to a disc, then boot to that disc instead of windows.

Ninite.com is a nice way to get free software without all of the junk that is sometimes bundled.

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:03 PM

JohnC beat me to the punch :) either way should work do whatever is easiest for you.

#10 gotrekt

gotrekt

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:03 PM

You need an iso burner program to do that like ImgBurn

edit: removed the link better download it from ninite as zingo said

Edited by gotrekt, 06 January 2015 - 05:08 PM.

#11 mrallyn

mrallyn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 11:08 PM

Good evening. I downloaded the ninite and burned the cd. When I tried to boot from the cd, my computer froze. I held the power button to reboot then I got an error message - Your computer was unable h to start - start up repair is checking your system for problems - do you want to restore your computer using system restore? - I clicked yes. When it rebooted, the ninite was gone. So I tried to reboot from the disc again. Now my keyboard or touchpad won't work. It will not move past the system restore screen because I can't click yes. I am using my phone to get online. Any suggestions?

#12 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 08:31 AM

System restore was run and somehow the drivers for your mouse/keyboard may have been affected, it is possible you restored the computer to a date prior to the usb drivers being installed. If you let it boot and sit at the login screen for 5-10 minutes it might re-install those drivers and then you should be able to log back in. If you have an external mouse/keyboard (usb) you can plug those in and wait a bit. If USB is still not working, this also may be the cause of your touchpad problem, those all connect to a USB controller at some point generally. The same outside USB ports and internal are all on the same controller, if that controller has an issue, eventually all USB devices would not work, touchpad, webcam, etc.

Booting to any disc should not cause an error with the OS, you may have a hardware level issue such as a hard drive with bad blocks which could cause all of these symptoms. Try to get the computer booting again. I have instructions for another hardware diagnostic utility but that would require burning a disc again.

Booting to linux still might be the fastest way to figure out if this is an OS issue or hardware, or both. If the USB drivers are written to a bad section of the hard drive and are no longer readable, that might explain why the USB devices are not working, if this is the case, USB devices should still work in linux, if they do not work in linux either, you have a hardware issue with USB somewhere.

Can you give us more information about what happens when you try to boot to linux? What do you see on the screen? Any information might be useful, it might be freezing due to a hardware level issue.

Edited by zingo156, 12 January 2015 - 08:36 AM.

#13 mrallyn

mrallyn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:11 PM

I think I have a serious problem. When I turn my laptop on, windows error recovery automatically runs the start up repair. Then it asks if I want to restore my computer using system restore. I cannot click to restore or cancel because my mouse pad or keyboard are not working. I connected a usb mouse and that's not working.

I have to crash my laptop using the power button. Prior to rebooting, I put the linux cd in to see if it would boot from the cd but it automatically boots into the black screen windows error recovery countdown.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,627 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:27 PM

It's possible the disk did not burn correctly or your boot order in BIOS is not correct. If you tap F12 at boot with the linux disk in the drive do you get a boot menu? If you do, select your optical drive and see if the linux disk boots.

#15 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:27 PM

Can you use your keyboard to get into the bios and change the boot order so it boots from the disc first? Generally it is one of the following keys to get into bios: F1, F2, ESC, Delete.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users