Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP2140 Laptop BSoD during boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mike-b

mike-b

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 28 December 2014 - 08:09 PM

Had this laptop for several years, happily running XP Pro/SP3. Knocked it over the other day, only fell a couple of inches, but went with a bit of a bump. It either switched itself off or blue screened (can't remember for sure).

After that whenever it tries to boot, it stops just before the login screen would normally come up and goes to blue screen. Error message is IRQ NOT LESS OR EQUAL, stop: 0x0000000A. First time I tried safe mode it started ok, but subsequently it won't even boot into safe mode (same blue screen). Sometimes check disk runs at boot time, completing successfully.

So it would seem like a hardware problem (something damaged from the bump), but I've got an old HD that I swapped out of it about a year ago. If I put that back in it boots up and runs absolutely fine. So thinking it might be the SSD that it has had in since, I took an image of that (using another PC) and put it on a new hard drive. That behaves exactly the same as with the SSD, BSoD during boot - it booted into safe mode once but that was it. So it appears more like a corrupt file perhaps?

The SSD (a Sandisk) works fine when placed as a second drive in another machine, reads and writes files with no issue, so I don't think it's a physical problem. I've tried booting from a win xp install cd and doing the repair option, which seems to run through properly and reinstall all the original files, but it hasn't helped.

I'm running out of ideas now, don't really want to revert to a year old config (on the old HD) if I can get the newer one working again, so I don't have to reinstall a load of programs and merge data.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 28 December 2014 - 08:47 PM

Hello, and Welcome

You have pretty much covered all the bases.

That stop error usually results from a memory issue. You dropped the computer. Have you tried reseating the RAM modules? If that does not work, try with only one module and also switch slots.

#3 mike-b

mike-b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:09 PM

Yes, there is only one ram module in there. I've reseated it and ran the ram test utility in the bios, that came back all clear. If it was a hardware problem, it wouldn't work with the old hard drive though?

I'm kind of suspecting a broken/corrupted driver or possibly an antivirus update (Avast) that went wrong. But if I can't get into safe mode (even command prompt only), not sure how to get any further fixing it?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:21 PM

Do you have access to another XP computer?

Edit: I am not sure if restoring the registry will solve your problem as you have already done a repair install which should have solved the problem. If you have another XP computer you can use this method to restore the registry if you have System Restore enabled.

If not, you would need to do it using a linux distro. I can give instructions on that method if you wish.

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 December 2014 - 09:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users