Hello! I'm running Windows XP Professional SP3 x86.
I'm not sure exactly when it happened, but I noticed it about a week and a half ago- my search has stopped working. Windows operates perfectly fine otherwise, and comes up virus free in Avast Free (virus definitions 141228-1 and version 2014.9.0.2208) and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Nothing I've done to fix it have worked.
When I try to search I get an error that reads, verbatum, "A file that is required to run Search Companion cannot be found. You may need to run setup." The search window will then appear, with nothing showing up except the dog search companion (which I had turned off).
I've tried reinstalling srchasst.src from %systemroot%\inf countless times now, from both my on-disc backup of i386 and from my Windows CD. It'll install successfully, but then without fail, when I try to use search again, I get the same error box.
This is the only issue my computer is having.
My research has told me that this may be related to jscript.dll but I wouldn't know what to do about that if so.
I'm at my wit's end with this, so after trying to figure it out on my own for about three days straight, I'm coming here for help. Sorry if I've left out any useful information. I tried to be through.