Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Search is broken no matter what I do.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Zainin

Zainin

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 28 December 2014 - 07:55 PM

Hello! I'm running Windows XP Professional SP3 x86.

I'm not sure exactly when it happened, but I noticed it about a week and a half ago- my search has stopped working. Windows operates perfectly fine otherwise, and comes up virus free in Avast Free (virus definitions 141228-1 and version 2014.9.0.2208) and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Nothing I've done to fix it have worked.

When I try to search I get an error that reads, verbatum, "A file that is required to run Search Companion cannot be found. You may need to run setup." The search window will then appear, with nothing showing up except the dog search companion (which I had turned off).

I've tried reinstalling srchasst.src from %systemroot%\inf countless times now, from both my on-disc backup of i386 and from my Windows CD. It'll install successfully, but then without fail, when I try to use search again, I get the same error box.

This is the only issue my computer is having.

My research has told me that this may be related to jscript.dll but I wouldn't know what to do about that if so.

I'm at my wit's end with this, so after trying to figure it out on my own for about three days straight, I'm coming here for help. Sorry if I've left out any useful information. I tried to be through.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,975 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 08:19 PM

Hello, and Welcome

When my XP search broke, I had to register the the following files. It worked for me and hope it works for you.

In an admin account click the Run button and type

regsvr32 jscript.dll     click okay twice

Then do the same for the following file

regsvr32 vbscript.dll

You may need to reboot.

If that does not work then register the following file also

regsvr32 urlmon.dll

#3 Zainin

Zainin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 08:35 PM

Thanks for your prompt reply.

The register for vbscript.dll and urlmon.dll went fine, but jscript.dll did not. I got this error: "LoadLibrary("jscript.dll") failed - The specified procedure could not be found."

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,975 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 08:52 PM

Is jscript.dll in your system32 folder?

#5 Zainin

Zainin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 08:54 PM

It is.

Attached Files

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,975 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:20 PM

That isn't the same file as mine for XP PRO SP3. Look at your image. In the bottom of the box it states the file came from another computer and is being blocked. Am not sure how that happened.

#7 Zainin

Zainin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:40 PM

I... am not sure how that happened, either. Thank you for pointing that out to me. Somehow I didn't notice that at all.

Either way, I restored jscript.dll from my XP CD's and then tried registering it, and now I'm getting a new error: "'jscript.dll' is not an executable file and no registation helper is registered for this file type."

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,975 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:53 PM

Is your version 5.8.6001.23141?

Open a command prompt in an admin account and try registering using this command.

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\jscript.dll

#9 Zainin

Zainin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 10:03 PM

Huh, oddly enough, there is no version tab on my jscript.dll. This is strange. It's only affecting it, not any other of the random DLL's I checked.

It still yields the same error as my last post if I register with that command, I am afraid.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,975 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 10:07 PM

That's interesting. I found a similar problem of a poster. Check the thread here. The file and registry permissions were reset and then they were able to register jscript.dll.

I can upload my jscript.dll file to my Dropbox account and give you a link if you want. Then see if  you get a version tab on my file.

#11 Zainin

Zainin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 10:41 PM

I would like that, please. I followed the instructions to reset my permissions, then I tried to register jscript.dll, but it still gave the same error. I'd like to try with yours.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,975 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 10:43 PM

Okay, it will take me a bit. I have to reboot the XP computer and get it to Dropbox.

Edit: Here is the link

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 December 2014 - 10:53 PM.

#13 Zainin

Zainin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 11:28 PM

Sorry for the delay. I had to walk off for a moment. Thank you so much for your help so far.

Well, your copy of the DLL worked perfectly and I was able to successfully register it; thank you! I will note that it was about 300kb bigger, and now I can indeed see a version tab, and it is version 5.8.6001.23141. The problem still persists, though, with the original error of "A file that is required to run Search Companion cannot be found. You may need to run setup." I tried reinstalling srchasst.src once again now that the dll was fixed and still no dice. I'm really stumped.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,975 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:04 AM

It's getting late here so I will be off until tomorrow but if you have a XP install disk that has the same SP, you can try doing a sfc /scannow at a command prompt. This will search for any system files that need replacing. I will have to look a little more into this tomorrow.

#15 Zainin

Zainin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:32 AM

Alright, understood. Sleep well!

Just so you'll know when you come back, I do have an SP3 disk, so I tried and and got this error:

"Windows File Protection could not initiate a scan of protected system files. The specific error code is 0x000006ba [The RPC server is unavailable.]"

I got the same error trying with /scanonce as well.

Once again, thank you for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users