Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Samsung XP941 boot drive and SATA RAID drives

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OrgChem

OrgChem

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 28 December 2014 - 07:39 PM

Pardon the noob question but I have not been able to have google answer for me.  I am using the Samsung XP941 (PCIe SSD) as my boot drive on the ASRock X99 Professional motherboard.  The OS is Windows 7 Pro and booting into the OS seems to be working okay.  I want to add a couple SATA WD Red drives for storage but I want them in RAID 1.  I figured the best approach was to reinstall Windows 7.  I tried to reinstall windows 7 using the "F6 method."  However during the Windows install the process would not recognize the Intel RAID drivers.  Similarly I could not get the Intel Rapid Storage Technology to work.  It responded with a hardware error when I tried to install the latest IRST.  I did change the bios SATA controller mode to RAID before trying the above.  What am I missing or am I limited to have these drives only in ACPI?  Would a RAID controller card permit to do what I want?  Many thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 08:44 AM

When installing drivers for raid/ahci, install windows, install the correct ahci/raid drivers, and then reboot and switch bios sata operation after installing the correct drivers.

You should not have to reinstall windows to setup a raid if the raid is not going to be configured on the current OS drive, this is the case here. In theory you should have been able to add the new drives and go into your bios, set sata operation to raid, then setup raid from bios to use the 2 new drives and set it to raid 1, the raid options should allow you to chose which drives you want in the raid array. You might want to look at the mainboard manual to make sure you have the new hard drives connected to the correct sata ports, some boards support raid between a specific set of ports (not all of them).

Edited by zingo156, 29 December 2014 - 08:45 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users