Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best certification to get understanding of all technologies

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 28 December 2014 - 06:13 PM

Hi all! 

I am the type of person that gets a little bored easily! Is there any type of certification available that is recognised well in the industry that i can work my way up, that kinda of covers a wide range of IT subjects including operating systems, internet security, networking, hardware etc. 

I would rather better my knowledge in all areas instead of just working on a Cisco certification or a Microsoft certification for example.

Is there anything that kinda gives you a bit of everything that is well recognised. If not, is there any advice that anybody could give in terms of going for the best one. 

I have already achieved MTA from Microsoft and I liked that because it was about network as well as Microsoft!

Thanks again!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 08:53 AM

CompTIA has a lot of good certifications that you can get, and they are all vendor neutral. You should take a look at those.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 07:49 PM

CompTIA has a lot of good certifications that you can get, and they are all vendor neutral. You should take a look at those.

Hi thank you for that.
I was looking at CompTIA but I saw that they expire after a couple of years, I don't want to have to keep renewing them I want to keep them on my CV etc, do you think it would be acceptable to leave them on my CV as long as I date them next to the qualification?

Thanks very much :)

#4 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 10:01 PM

Yeah most certs expire after a period of time. I wouldn't worry about the experation date on there.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#5 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 06:42 AM

Thanks for the advice there I will take a look at CompTIA

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 03 January 2015 - 07:31 AM

I also recommend the CompTIA certifications for a general IT certification.  As DeimosChaos said all certifications now expire, either by a specific date or when the product you are certified in is replaced.  Once you are working in IT normally you will only need to update your certificates when you want a promotion, if your employer requires you to maintain a specific certification, or if you go looking for a new job (though normally your experience will replace your certifications).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users