Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DHL

DHL

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 20 June 2006 - 04:21 PM

Hi

I run Win XP PRo SP2

Having a connection problem to the internet in that ever so often, I am disconnected. Shortly after being disconnected I am reconnected thru my ISP (which incidentally is AOL).
In an effort to try and restore using a date when no such thing transpired, I thought of doing a System Restore to see if that would resolve the problem.
When the process was completed I received the following
Your Computer cannot be restored to (whatever date I use) - No changes have been made to your computer
unquote

I used several restore points with the same result

Can someone suggest a possible cause and perhaps a solution. In the past I had no problems with System Restore.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:23 PM

Q. What should I do if System Restore does not work?

A. Try these steps if System Restore does not appear to work:

1. Ensure the System Restore service is running. verify that System
Restore services are running from Control Panel:

Click Start, Control Panel -> Performance and Maintenance ->
Click Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Services and
Applications. Click Services - >click System Restore Services. Ensure
the service is set to Automatic and the status is Started.

Or: To verify that System Restore services are running using the
command prompt: Click Start ->Run -> then type CMD in the control box
Press Enter, then type Net Start at the command prompt

2. Verify that you have enough free space on all your drives as
required by System Restore. If the free space on any partition system
restore is monitoring falls below 50 MB, System Restore will suspend
and purge out all restore points to free up disk space. It will
automatically reactivate when 200 MB+ free space is available.

3. Examine event logs for any system restore-related errors that
could help you identify the problem.

#3 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:37 PM

In this case, I recommend trying to reinstall System Restore, here's how:

1. You will need to be able to view hidden files, so go to Start>> Control Panel>> Folder Options>> View tab. Under Advanced settings, place a check mark in: "Show hidden files and folders". Then uncheck: "Hide extensions for known file types". Click Apply, then OK to exit.

2. Open Windows Explorer, then go to Windows>> inf folder. Open the inf folder and find a file named:

sr.inf

Right click this file and select "Install" from the resulting menu.

Note: This procedure will delete all restore points from your old installation and recreate a fresh installation of System Restore.

When finished with this reboot the system and try going back into system restore and see if it works.

Have a good day

#4 DHL

DHL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2006 - 05:51 AM

Hi Guys

I carried out your instructions and as anticipated all previous points mentioned have disappeared. This means there are currently no points to give it a go to check it out.
As soon as this is possible I will update you.

To. Bicycle Bill.

In para 3 you mentioned examining event logs for any system restore-related errors that could help to possibly identify the problem. There are many errors mentioned in the log but none appear to have anything to do with System Restore. The majority appear as having to do with Windows Securitaa Center being unable to establish event queries with MHI to monitor third party antivirus and firewall.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 22 June 2006 - 08:37 AM

The fact that your computer's connectivity restored by itself leads to the belief that your internet connection was down and once connectivity was restored by the isp it was resumed.

#6 DHL

DHL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 05:08 AM

Hi Guys

System Restore working fine once more. Originated a test myself and it activated OK.
However having lost previous settings, the problem which caused me to try a restore is still present in that I keep getting losing connection to my ISP resulting in being unable to surf. Will have to investigate further as to the cause or originate another thread in this regard in effort to get some help/advice.

Tks

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 01:59 PM

If you are on cable or dsl try rebooting the modem, the router and the computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users