Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security alert when launching installed programs

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 ronc2

ronc2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:32 AM

Yes, I read your post #13, I was reluctant to run any of the files recommended until I got your response to the security check you asked me to run, but

I believe I will go ahead and use the .bat file to disable the zone check entirely.

You're not the first to recommend removing Iobit products, but I've been using their Advanced System Care, in it's various versions, for quite some time and never noticed any malware or adware that I could connect to Iobit. I generally run Ccleaner and Malwarebytes every few days, and M'bytes Anti Rootkit somewhat less often, also AdWcleaner whenever a new update comes out. In the past 8 months or so I think I've found one trojan, and several PUPs. I almost never run Iobit's Malware Fighter, so I can certainly do without it.

I'm going to follow the recommendations from the Windows 7 Forum link you posted, it looks like exactly the solution I'm looking for.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:53 AM

If you have used the registry cleaner that could be the cause of the message appearing.

BC does not recommend the use of any registry cleaner....for good reasons.

Use CCleaner's Tools to find what is starting in Windows, Browsers and Tasks. Open CCleaner and

click on Tools. Choose Startups. There you will see Windows Startups and at the top of the page will

be buttons for Browsers and Tasks. You can disable or enable any startup by clicking on an item to 

highlight and then choosing to enable or disable.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#18 ronc2

ronc2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:00 AM

I ran the Win 7 Forum's file to disable the security warnings and it changed nothing. Still getting the same popup.

I know about the tools in Ccleaner, I allow very few things to start automatically.

#19 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,200 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:48 AM

Silly question....did you reboot after running the fix?

There were other solutions offered in that post.

You can try using the All In One to repair. I would make sure that none of IObits was in startup or active first.

Windows Repair (All In One) Download

Be sure to do option #4

• Reset Registry Permissions
  • Reset File Permissions
  • Register System Files
  • Repair WMI
  • Repair Windows Firewall
  • Repair Internet Explorer
  • Repair MDAC & MS Jet
  • Repair Hosts File
  • Remove Policies Set By Infections
  • Repair Icons
  • Repair Winsock & DNS Cache
  • Remove Temp Files

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#20 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,200 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 01:19 PM

When search for info on another user's problem I discovered another possible cause of your 'problem'.

It's a long shot....I know.

SmartScreen Filter is a feature in Internet Explorer that helps detect phishing websites. SmartScreen Filter can also help protect you from installing malicious software, or malware, which is software designed to deliberately harm your computer such as viruses, worms, and Trojan horses.

1. Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818. In the search box, type Internet Explorer, and then, in the list of results, click Internet Explorer.

2. Click the Safety button, point to SmartScreen Filter, and then select Turn Off SmartScreen Filter.

3. In the Microsoft SmartScreen Filter dialog box, click OK.

#21 ronc2

ronc2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 02:39 PM

I checked, smart Screen Filter is already off.

I also ran the cleaning tool you recommended from tweaking.com, it apparently fixed a few things, but that popup remains unaffected. On a hunch, I tried reinstalling some of the programs I've been getting the popup on. Well, just one of them actually, I didn't feel like spending the day reinstalling everything if it wasn't necessary, so I chose Malwarebytes because I could easily obtain a fresh copy from the official site. I deleted my existing copy using Revo Uninstaller, making sure it got all traces, reinstalled the new copy of M'bytes, clicked the icon...and the blasted warning popup still appeared!
FYI, I also uninstalled -- not merely disabled -- all Iobit stuff I had. Of course I reboot after every such operation.
Incidently the Tweaking com tool found no malware, but when I ran the fresh copy of Malwarebytes it found a PUP. Those don't worry me too much but I went ahead and quarantined it anyway.

I need to get on with my day and may not respond to any new messages until later this evening. Thanks for all the help and suggestions so far.

cleardot.gif

#22 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,968 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 30 December 2014 - 04:02 PM

In your Security Check log there is no AV program shown.

Do you have an Anti Virus program installed ?

iobit is known to leave a "spy trail" behind,

Please go HERE  to download the 'bit remover'......

Note: There is a "Spy Trail" of[b] IObit[/b] still left behind.
[url=]Information plus tool[/url] > [url=http://www.t-tools.nl/CCount/click.php?id=35]Tool only[/url] 
IObit Remover / Cleanup tool > 
(Note: Cleans left-overs after a normal uninstall) Designed by Fredde Vries once he noticed IObit left a "Spy Trail"

After running this remover and rebooting, ....

Please download and run RKill by Grinler.
 A black DOS box will appear for a short time and then disappear.
 This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
 At most the tool will usually run for about 2 minutes
 Please Copy / Paste the small log back here.

Please DO NOT reboot, until you Complete the NEXT STEP

Then run your M'bytes Anti Rootkit....be sure it updates before running.

• When the scan is finished and no malware has been found select "Exit".
  • If malware was detected, make sure to check all the items and click "Cleanup". Reboot your computer.
  • Open the MBAR folder located on your Desktop and paste the content of the following files in your next reply:
  • "mbar-log-{date} (xx-xx-xx).txt"
  • "system-log.txt"

Edited by Condobloke, 30 December 2014 - 04:14 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users