Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security alert when launching installed programs

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 ronc2

ronc2

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 28 December 2014 - 04:00 PM

Using Win 7 Home Premium: Lately when clicking an icon or start menu shortcut to launch any and every installed program, a popup asks if Im sure I want to trust and run the program. Of course I'm sure I want to run it, and of course I'm sure I trust it, after all I installed it and I know where it came from. This happens with every single program I want to use, I tell the popup "yes" and the program then starts and runs normally, but this popup is getting to be a pain in the neck and I can't find what is causing it to appear. I'm the administrator and sole user of this machine, this popup is a new development in the past week, I never had this problem before. I have UAC turned off because I don't like my pc questioning my actions, but it seems like something else has taken over the UAC warning function. Any ideas or solutions would be more than welcome. My machine is clean, all MS updates current, virus and malware scanned regularly with nothing significant found.

Edited by hamluis, 30 December 2014 - 06:38 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 13,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 28 December 2014 - 05:13 PM

Maybe it is not the UAC causing the popup. When you next see the message, is there a box you can UNcheck

to stop the popup...something like 'always ask before opening this file' ?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 ronc2

ronc2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 05:42 PM

@Buddy215: No, there's no "always ask" check box, that would be too easy <g>. I don't actually think it's the UAC since I have it turned off, but it's just the nearest way I can think of to describe the popup's behavior.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 13,001 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 05:50 PM

Have you tried right clicking on it and maybe check properties?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 ronc2

ronc2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:32 PM

Right click does nothing. The "open" button will open the program, the "close" simply dismisses the popup and opens nothing.

I can start my programs with the "open" button, but it irks me to, in effect, click on two buttons to launch a program: first the shortcut itself, then the  popup's "open" button. I'lll try to insert a shot of the popup here using the "file attach" function of this message tool:

Attached File  Untitled.jpg   61.23KB   1 downloads

#6 ronc2

ronc2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:39 PM

I should mention that the popup says "unknown publisher" to whatever I try to launch, even the Windows-branded programs and apps that install with the Win 7 OS.

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,787 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:51 PM

Do you have more than one "user account" on your pc ?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#8 ronc2

ronc2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 10:17 PM

Apropo of your tagline about "missing the donut..."  in my original post I said that I am the admin and sole user <smile>

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,787 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 28 December 2014 - 11:29 PM

Click on Start button >>>type Internet Options into the search programs and files box...

open internet options

Click on Security.....the "usual" setting for Internet is medium high...for Trusted sites it is medium..

Edited by Condobloke, 28 December 2014 - 11:36 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#10 ronc2

ronc2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 07:21 AM

Rather than continue going in circles, let me sum up and begin anew:

Only one user account, myself, and as such I give myself full Admin priviledges.

No one else ever uses this computer, I live alone.

I find UAC annoying, so I've disabled it, as have many other PC users.

I have an assortment of programs installed, all have short cuts on the Start Menu, as is usual wirth a Windows PC.

Heretofore, these shortcuts have always worked as expected, launching the related programs by mouse click.

Recently, when clicking on a short cut to launch a program -- any and ALL of the installed programs -- a popup appears.

I posted a screenshot of the popup in this thread a few days ago, on December 28.

This has nothing to do with anything downloaded or installed from the internet, these are programs already residing on my computer,

I have used these programs for years without triggering this irritating popup, which is a new and recent development.

The popup displays only two options: "open" and "cancel", there is no right-click submenu, no other means of input offered.

The "cancel" button merely dismisses the popup with no other action being taken, nothing opens.

The "open" button does launch the program I want, but it is irritating to be forced to click again to launch a program after having already clicked

it's start menu icon, an action which formerly launched my programs with no fuss, no unwanted, unnecessary security alert popup to interrupt my

workflow.

#11 ronc2

ronc2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 07:26 AM

Oops, sorry, in my 12/30 4:21 AM post I meant to say "Windows 7 Home Premium" not "Home Professional". It's very early here, and not enough coffee.

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 13,001 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:06 AM

Perhaps a security program is doing this. I actually invoked the UAC alert in my Win7 and it looks nothing like what you posted.

Let's see what this little ditty reports.

Download Security Check from here or here and save it to your Desktop.

• Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
  • Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

NOTE 1. If one of your security applications (e.g., third-party firewall) requests permission to allow DIG.EXE access the Internet, allow it to do so.
NOTE 2. SecurityCheck may produce some false warning(s), so leave the results reading to me.
NOTE 3. If you receive UNSUPPORTED OPERATING SYSTEM! ABORTED! message restart computer and Security Check should run

#13 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 13,001 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:23 AM

Have you seen this....Open File Security Warning - Enable or Disable - Windows 7 Help Forums

#14 ronc2

ronc2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:42 AM

Buddy215, here's the checkup text file:

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.93  
 Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x86 (UAC is disabled!)  
 Internet Explorer 11  
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
 Windows Firewall Enabled!  
 WMI entry may not exist for antivirus; attempting automatic update.
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
 CCleaner     
 Adobe Flash Player     16.0.0.235  
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````  
 IObit IObit Malware Fighter IMFsrv.exe  
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
 Total Fragmentation on Drive C:  
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

#15 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 13,001 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:03 AM

You may have missed my post #13.

I recommend you get rid of any and all IObit programs. Untrusted and adware/ spyware intensive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users