Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chkdsk Not Fixing Issue and Recycling Windows

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 boumer

boumer

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 28 December 2014 - 02:58 PM

Hello,

A friend asked me to look at his computer due to issues getting on the internet. Diagnostics of the network connection point to the network adapter, but the adapter diagnostic doesn't report an issue. What I did find is that the computer boots up and wants to run chkdsk every time. Chkdsk reports that it is deleting a corrupt attribute at the same sector each time, then attempts to boot windows without continuing on. Windows boots, but then restarts and chkdsk comes back up.

The only way to boot to Windows is to skip the chkdsk. I've run chkdsk with the /F and /R parameters. This is Windows 7. I suspect there are hard-drive issues causing the network issues. I have run sfc /scannow and fixed one issue there, but chkdsk continues to throw an error at the same sector and recycle itself until I tell it to stop.

This is a Toshiba HD.....I don't know whether it's a Fujitsu or Hitachi. What is the best next step. Is there a good diagnostic tool out there to find (and hopefully) repair the hard drive issue, or is this hard drive on it's way out?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 28 December 2014 - 03:02 PM

You can try SeaTools for Windows. Although it's designed by Seagates, it'll work for any brand of hard drive.

I recommend that you backup any important data before running tests (the Long Generic Test would be best to check the HDD).

#3 boumer

boumer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 03:27 PM

Great thanks Alex!

Didn't Windows used to come with more diagnostic tools. Seems like I remember one that showed you all the bad sectors on the disk, or am I thinking of a 3rd party tool?

Would it be worth it to try and image this drive, if I do find that it is failing?

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 03:30 PM

Great thanks Alex!

Didn't Windows used to come with more diagnostic tools. Seems like I remember one that showed you all the bad sectors on the disk, or am I thinking of a 3rd party tool?

Would it be worth it to try and image this drive, if I do find that it is failing?

If it's failing then you should NOT image the drive. See here to know why.

You're probably thinking of chkdsk... but it doesn't work as you said in post #1.

Edited by Alexstrasza, 28 December 2014 - 03:32 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 29 December 2014 - 02:08 PM

What you describe as symptoms...indicate either a damaged file system or a failing hard drive..;.or both, IMO.

Chkdsk /r is the tool of choice for damaged files.

The hard drive diagnostic the tool of choice for hard drive functionality.

If chkdsk /r is unable to complete...I'd say that would point to hard drive failure or a damaged NTFS file system.  I've not come across any cure for a damaged file system other than format/reinstall.

Have you conducted your backup yet?

Louis

#6 boumer

boumer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 07:46 PM

Hi Louis,

I was thinking the symptoms don't sound promising either, but I was able to backup the data and I am running the long generic Seagate scan as I type. It's been running a long time, but it is finally nearing completion. Fingers crossed.

As a side note, I recently retired my old laptop with a comparable sized-drive. If this HD comes back with no way to fix, I may try to image this drive onto my old drive, and see what I get. If it's hardware related, I'm hoping just the network portion that is symptomatic right now will need fixing. I hadn't thought about the NTFS being corrupt. There are lots of 3rd-party "quick fix" tools on this machine, which is why this scan ran so long I think. Had to shut a bunch of them down in the system tray. God knows where they came from or how they've been used. Thinking now that maybe one of them really "fixed" the machine well, especially if it is a NTFS problem.

#7 boumer

boumer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 08:11 PM

Well the drive passed the Seagate long generic scan, but the symptoms are the same. Several of the tests are not available because this is not a Seagate or Maxtor HD. Chkdsk fails at the same point as before and ultimately causes Windows to recycle back to chkdsk where it continues to fail at the same sector. The machine does not boot up fully, unless I skip chkdsk. The networking is not operational.

#8 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 03:33 AM

Then there's the possibility of damaged file system as Hamluis said. The only option in this case is to reinstall Windows.

#9 boumer

boumer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:44 PM

I delivered the bad news last night that he needs to look at getting a new machine. I figured that we can always pop this HD into a USB enclosure and try to reformat. Best case, he gets a new machine and an extra drive for backup and worst case, he just gets a new machine.

Thanks for you help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users